Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

OM662/602 starting problems

Old 01-18-2016, 03:25 AM
Smile OM662/602 starting problems

Hi there,

I am from Singapore. I have a year 2000 MB 100D 2.9L N/A bus which i believe is similar to the ssangyong istana and the australian version. It had travelled over 330,000 kms. Recently for quite some time, I am having problems starting the engine. When I turn the key, the glow plug indicator light comes on (Waiting to start light) comes on and goes off after ~5 seconds. After the light goes off, I try starting by turning the key however the engine does not even start(no sound at all). I found out that only after about waiting 25 seconds, there would be a "tick" sound coming from the passenger side. Immediately after this tick sound I would then start and the engine would start. However many time the engine still dies not start even after the "tick" sound and I would wait for another "tick" sound, immediately after this "tick" sound i would start the engine and the engine would start. It seems there is a much higher success starting the engine after waiting 25seconds for the "tick" sound. If I dont wait for the "tick" sound, the engine wouldnt start at all.
Does anyone have any idea what is the problem? What things to check and diagnose?
Does anyone have a workshop maunal / service manual for the engine or bus?
It is really frustrating starting the engine.

Any help is much appreciated!

Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 PM

thanks for the quick reply! I would like to clarify- The engine does NOT Turn Over/NO crank at all when turning the key to start. It seems that after the "tick" sound I have much higher success getting the engine to crank and the engine starts running very fast. Other than that there is no TURN over at all/no Crank when I turn to the "start" position.