Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   OM662/602 starting problems (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/om662-602-starting-problems-56371/)

speedy123 01-18-2016 03:25 AM

OM662/602 starting problems

Hi there,

I am from Singapore. I have a year 2000 MB 100D 2.9L N/A bus which i believe is similar to the ssangyong istana and the australian version. It had travelled over 330,000 kms. Recently for quite some time, I am having problems starting the engine. When I turn the key, the glow plug indicator light comes on (Waiting to start light) comes on and goes off after ~5 seconds. After the light goes off, I try starting by turning the key however the engine does not even start(no sound at all). I found out that only after about waiting 25 seconds, there would be a "tick" sound coming from the passenger side. Immediately after this tick sound I would then start and the engine would start. However many time the engine still dies not start even after the "tick" sound and I would wait for another "tick" sound, immediately after this "tick" sound i would start the engine and the engine would start. It seems there is a much higher success starting the engine after waiting 25seconds for the "tick" sound. If I dont wait for the "tick" sound, the engine wouldnt start at all.
Does anyone have any idea what is the problem? What things to check and diagnose?
Does anyone have a workshop maunal / service manual for the engine or bus?
It is really frustrating starting the engine.

Any help is much appreciated!

speedy123 01-18-2016 08:46 PM

thanks for the quick reply! I would like to clarify- The engine does NOT Turn Over/NO crank at all when turning the key to start. It seems that after the "tick" sound I have much higher success getting the engine to crank and the engine starts running very fast. Other than that there is no TURN over at all/no Crank when I turn to the "start" position.

carolinaboy 03-09-2023 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by speedy123 (Post 170448)
thanks for the quick reply! I would like to clarify- The engine does NOT Turn Over/NO crank at all when turning the key to start. It seems that after the "tick" sound I have much higher success getting the engine to crank and the engine starts running very fast. Other than that there is no TURN over at all/no Crank when I turn to the "start" position.

I occasionally have the same problem, I realised mine is due to the starter motor not engaging the engine starter ring. If you listen carefully you may hear the starter motor spinning. I havent done anything about it (although I should)

when you try to start the engine a part on the starter motor (the Bendix) is thrown forward onto the starter ring cog and the motor will then turn the engine over.. it may be as simple as removing the starter motor and giving the bendix shaft a good clean and some lubricant. On the other hand it may need a new starter motor