Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Default no start

I haven't been able to start my '81 240D ~150K miles for the last few weeks. I had no problems getting it to start when it was running, but even after idling for a few minutes, when I'd get it out onto the road and hit the pedal, it would hesitate badly for a few hundred yards and then as it warmed up, I had full power.
During its last drive a few weeks ago, I lost power going uphill and essentially stalled out. The next morning after massive efforts to start up again, I eventually got it to run, then it died again trying to climb a hill.
Since then:
I replaced primary and secondary fuel filters, installed a new hand primer pump. Disconnected the fitting going into the IP, and by pumping the hand primer pump, saw that fuel was being delivered to the IP. Loosened all injector hard lines, and after extensive cranking, basically no fuel at all was coming out of the hard lines.
I have NOT checked the strainer in the tank yet. But my hand primer test seems to indicate positive delivery of fuel to the IP.
I'm running a two tank veggie system. Very clean oil, religious purging before shutdown. This fuel delivery issue is happening with the veg system completely turned off, so diesel only.
I had suspected clogged injectors, but it seems that no fuel is reaching the injectors.....
Thanks in advance