Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

New Guy with Diesel Injection Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Default New Guy with Diesel Injection Question

Hello all! I just recently started on a new project, a '68 200D. It turns over fine, but refuses to start. Having worked on many farm implements, tracing the problem wasn't hard. My question is this. How difficult is it to fix the injection part of the system. The previous owner replaced the injection system himself, although I dont think that he put oil in the pump housing. I also dont think that he timed it with the motor. But if the timing on the injector was off it would atleast still be pushing fluid through the lines to the cylinders, just not when they would like. Would putting oil in the pump housing after so long help to create suction, or is it too late? The car has been sitting for two years since the pump replacement. I can always go to the yard and get a used pump, but then there is a 50/50 chance that is the reason it is in the yard. Also the lever on the bottom of the pump, if it is pushed towards the radiator is that on or off, I am not clear on that and was trying to see if I needed to adjust it.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 PM

I kind of figured that, I hate fixing other peoples mistakes...well then its off to the yard for a temporary til I can get a rebuild kit...

Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 PM

You Fuel Injection Pump may very well be no good. However, let us see if we can get it to at least pump out some Fuel. (I am assuming it it on the Engine and that the Engine can actually turn it.)
In the picture below I have drawn some arrows.

The Red arrow points to a cover I would like you to remove.

When that cover is removed you will be able to look inside and see part of the Tappets (Green Arrow but at the bottom); the tattpet Return Spring (between the Green Arrow); and the may be part of the Element Plunger (Top Green Arrow).

When the Engine is rotated you shold be seeing these items going up and down. If not the Fuel Injection Pump is no hooked up to the Engine. Or the Plungers are stuck in the Up position (all of the Springs will be compressed).

If the above parts are going up and down if we can get fuel up to them there is a good chance it will be pushed out of the IP.

Next we want to loosen the Fuel Outlet Hose down at the Fuel Supply Pump that is in front of that Cover you removed. With the Hose loose work the Hand Primer until a good amount of Fuel is comming out.
After the Fuel is comming out; stop and see if when you Crank the Engine Fuel will come out. If fuel does not come out it could be that the Piston inside of the Fuel Supply Pump is Stuck or the little Valve Springs are rusted through or even that someone was inside and did not assemble it correctly.
1st off put some Oil in the Fuel Injection Pump.

Remove the Supply pump by loosening the little bolts or nuts 2 or 3 of them that hold the supply pump on.
Carefully put the Supply pump in a vice and take it apart noting where the parts go. See if there is anything missing or rusted and sticking. That Piston is under the Largest hex fastener. Becareful not to bust off the ears on the mounting flange of the pump.

When it is back together put it back on being carful not to break off the flange.
You may know this but I will give the bleeding process anyway.
When all the Fuel Injection Pump and Supply Pump hoses are hooked up. Pump on that Hand Primer until you hear a buzzing or sqeeking sound comming from the Fuel Injection Pump and then pump some more. This bleeds the low pressure fuel supply section of the Fuel Injection Pump.
Move up to the Injectors and loosen the Steel Fuel Injection Line nuts at the Injectors and
crank the Engine to see if you get fuel up to them.
If you get Fuel up to all of the Injectors; tighten the Injector Line Nuts and attempt to start.

Post the results here but please also send me a private message as I do not often look at this forum.

Attached Thumbnails New Guy with Diesel Injection Question-z-200ip.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 AM

That's a good and detailed procedure you laid out for the OP Diesel9112.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Oldwolf
That's a good and detailed procedure you laid out for the OP Diesel9112.
Thanks.
I hope that guy tells us what happend?

I do not know if I mentioned this in my previous post but; even with a Fuel Injection Pump off of the and supposedly drained of Fuel they will 90% of the time spurt out some fuel if you give the Fuel Injection Pump Drive shaft a spin (unless they have an Electric Shutoff on them).
So when I read of some one saying they are getting no fuel at all up to the Injectors I find it difficult to believe it is the Fuel Injection Pump itself.
It is nearly always a fue supply problem of not getting Fuel into the Fuel Injection Pump or not getting Fuel into the Fuel Injection Pump at the right pressure.

On a Fuel Injection Pump that has sat around for a long time I guess it is possible for something to be stuck in the shutoff position due to rust of gummy Oil deposites.