Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

New On Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Default New On Forum

Greetings from the Western shores of the Chesapeake Bay.
Great forum, and I have really enjoyed the expertise of many on the forum. So allow me to ask a couple of questions. (1) What repair manuel would you recommend for the 240D, 1982 model ?
I purchased this car back in 1983 with about 5000 miles, and in 1989 something went wrong with the motor, and since in those days I had plenty of money (not anymore) after trying everything short of mercedes dealers, I paarked it outside. Now I want to restore. Paint is very good, no rust, interior quite good as well. I pulled it from the woods, and since I am a very good diesel (John Deere) mechanic, I thought I would rebuild the engine. Would you believe that after a new battery, everything worked (lights etc) and the engine turned but not freely. Thats the way it was when it was parked.
I pulled injectors, sprayed with light oil, and replaced. Problem is I get no fuel at the injectors, not even from the rack itself on top of the pump. So my question. (2) Is the pump actuated by vacuum? JD's are 12V. By the way, I drained the tank, put in new fuel, getting good flow from tank to plastic filter, and thru the primary and secondary filters. Have not checked vacuum, however I have checked all lines for cracking and found none. (3) is it likely that the timeing chain jumped timing? Motor definitely does not tunr as fast as I think it should. By the way, I did install a new starter befor parking it initially, and no change in the turning of the motor. (4) Where would you go next? Vacuum, inj pump? I am really stumped.
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be thourough, and thanks a million. hbarnhardt, Saluda, Va.

82 240D
80 300D
88 300SD

Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Default RE: New On Forum

First I would check to be sure the manual stop lever is not pressed in.
The injection pump is mechanical and you might try cracking the fuel lines at the injectors and then cranking, priming, to get the air out of that part of the system.
Second check the glow plug system.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:10 PM

The manual and vaccum stop is a good idea to check. Above poster missed that theirs no fuel from the pump. Since the pump is chain driven with the cam. Pull the oil cap and is the cam turning/ valves moving. Since your a JD mech my JD got water in the pump and pulling the lines from the pump would not let it pass. Had to pull the fittings from the pump to get it out. It completly stopped 2 of the 3 cyclinders from getting any fuel[ slight power loss] Her's a site that might help
http://dieselgiant.com/mercedes_dies...nance_tips.htm

87 300D 215K

Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: lwbrewer

Above poster missed that theirs no fuel from the pump. http://dieselgiant.com/mercedes_dies...nance_tips.htm

87 300D 215K
Didn't miss it just didn't know how he checked it. I have heard that you will not get any fuel until you crack the lines at the injectors although I have not had the problem so no personal experience.
He should have a good look at Dieselgiants site, lots of good stuff there

Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks to all the respondents. My Mercedes episonde will continue later. Just arrived at the shop one 763 Bobcat
skidsteer / Kubota engine blown (Oil pump failure) so its now on the front burner.
I have the Mercedes Factory service manuel, and to be honest I feel it is worthless. And it cost over a hundred back in the late 80's. I still suspect the timing chain to be the culprit, but wouldn't bet the farm on it. I did go to a much larger battery, nearly 1000cca, and the engine still did not turn as fast as I think it should. I'll keep looking since I'm retired and the problem is a challenge. Thanks

Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM

lwbrewer had a good suggestion, take off the oil cap and have someone crank it while you watch to see if the cam is turning.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 AM

Broken timing chain would add to hard cranking. If like me and by yourself put a deep well shocket on top of the rocker arm or something you can see from the drivers seat when you turn it over, and if it doesn't move theirs a start of your repairs.
87 300D

Old 10-02-2008, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: lwbrewer

Broken timing chain would add to hard cranking. If like me and by yourself put a deep well shocket on top of the rocker arm or something you can see from the drivers seat when you turn it over, and if it doesn't move theirs a start of your repairs.
87 300D
Question-Are these the type of engines where the pistons will hit the valves if the chain is broken?

Old 10-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Default 240D continueing

When timeing chain broke on my son's 300sd the cylinders were fortunately not damaged. The valve cover took the brunt.
The 240D: Cam is turning. Engine turns so hard that a type42 battery (almost 1000cca) pulls down after a couple of 15 second attempts. Vacuum does not seem to be working but that would not effect the starting rpms, I don't think.
I'm pulling the starter which was bought new (rebuilt) just before the car was parked 10-15 years ago. Its possible back then that we did not get the correct starter, don't remember that far back.
The 240D has only 122K miles, and meticulous maintenance was taken while running.
All battery connections have been cleaned including the starter connections andwithout change in engine turning.
I was able to get a little fuel thru one of the injector openings, but not significant. The shut down lever is free (Not hanging up or sticking)
Still have not found a good manuel. If anyone can recommend one, I would appreciate it. And if anyone has any suggestions, I am open and would be thankful.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Default RE: 240D continueing

Check to make sure you've got a good ground to the starter/engine. Take a jumper cable and clip it directly to the battery negative and the other end directly to the engine somewhere, if not directly to the starter. Make sure the starter is bolted in tight.

If the engine turns faster with the jumper cable attached, obviously it's a ground issue.

You can also take the starter out and test it directly off the battery to make sure it really is good.

Also, how positive are you that the battery is good?

Have you checked the oil level to make sure the crankcase isn't overfull of whatever?

That's what I can think of initially.

Quick Reply: New On Forum