Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Mercedes diesel Towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Default Mercedes diesel Towing capacity

I am new to the Forum. I have been looking into geting a Diesel vehicle. I curently own a VW jetta Gas motor. I have had 7 VW all water cooled. I have decided to get a diesel. I also own a Chevy Pickup truck. gets < 12 miles to gallon. I have a boat and only use the truck for towing the boat. I put less then a 1000 miles on it a year. I pay to keep it on the road and maintenance. My boat weights 2500 lbs boat and trailer. I want to get rid of both my car and truck and get a diesel vehicle that will tow my boat and not be a truck. Most of the time I will use it for an every day driver

Is it possible to do this with a mercedes diesel? What is the towing capacity on them? I am very mechanicaly incliced and do most all of my own work. So from a technical point of view I have no issue with maintenance. Is this possible or am I persueing a pipe dream. Any information or sugestions on make and model would be appreciated.

thanks,

Bob Benson

Old 10-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Mercedes diesel Towing capacity

Your problem is legal, not technical. I own several vehicles and several trailers and keep a flatbed truck, that in 7 years made 5000 miles. Just for those times, when I need "More Power ho, ho, ho" (Love the "Tool time").
When you go to Europe, you'll see 30' travel trailers towed by BMW 325, or Volvo.

In US it is the potential liability issue. Bear in mind, that your boat trailer likely has no brakes?
So you have to check the manufacturer towing capacity for the model you'd like to consider and make sure you'll find a hitch for it.
I was considering installing a hitch on my MB wagon, but at $350 that would buy lot of fuel for my gas-guzzler flatbed.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:21 PM

The boat trailer has brakes and I would probably add another axel also. I will never sell this boat. It is a sail boat.
So in the long run I would rather not maintain 2 vehicles.
Also my truck is old, 87 pickup that has seen better days.
I will have to retool soon for relibility reasons and also it is a standard cab
I cant take the family with me in it and we always have to take 2 vehicles which is also a pain.
My VW Jetta has a couple of good years left in it. But if I could find the right vehicle to replace both I would sooner.
I have some time to think and plan and that is why I am asking these questions so I can Identify a vehicle that could do the lob.
I am also thinking about useing WVO or Biodiesel in it to save on fuel costs.
Would you by chance know what the Mercedes are rated to tow?

thanks for the input.

Bob

Old 10-08-2005, 03:40 PM

Original: Dumberer

ho, ho, ho
"Ho, ho, ho" is Santa Claus. Dumb ***.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:58 AM

Well after doing some research I have decide that I am going to keep with 2 seperate vehicles. Mostly for saftey reasons.
I am still interested in geting a Mercedes Diesel and replaceing my VW. But am probably going to get a Full size van to replace my truck.
Will be looking for an older model Mercedes when the time comes.
later,

Bob

Old 10-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Getting one of those 50 MPG Chrysler cdi minivan would be nice.
Oh, they are available all around the World, but not in USA. What a shame.
I believe you have no choice Bob. Liability issues are crazy in US.
I own 2 MB vehicles, that share the same power-train. The SUV is 5000 lb rated, the wagon 1500 lb (I think).
CRAZY.