Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Looking for Diesel Mercedes to run WVO

Old 03-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Default RE: Looking for Diesel Mercedes to run WVO

I got my 82 in trade for some computer work. I have since purchased another SD for parts. I love the car. and the 3.0 litre turbo diesel is pretty much indestructable. lots of room in the trunk for the grease tank, and plenty of room for passangers.

that is my rec. I bought mine on ebay for about 1200.00
good luck.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:41 PM

Alright I am back. Bought a new Honda Accord to drive while I was too busy to do anything else (Sold my truck). Will pass it on to the wife when I find a Mercedes to convert. Her Subaru gets crummy mileage and we don't need the AWD anymore.
My previous search led a guy at work to get a 300D fom a friend for free. He is now converting it to a two tank WVO car. Am waiting to see the results before getting too nuts. He got a non-turbo car which is way slow. I now think i really want a turbo car. e-bay has couple low milage california cars that look tempting.

How are the automatics in these things. I figure $$ will have to be spent on A/C repair but was hoping to avoid an Auto rebuild. Any ideas on cost to rebuild one. I am thinking pre-85 5 cylinder Turbo diesel. Guessing all the Auto Tranny's were created equal.

Anyone have any more info to share..

Thanks

Bender, I work in Baltimore and live near the PA line. Always willing to talk shop.
See ya

Old 06-11-2006, 11:56 PM

I have a 92 300 SD you might talk me out of if you're still looking. It is a sound car.
I'm from Bel Air living in Fla.
Are you still looking for Diesel MB?

Old 06-12-2006, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Tractorface

Alright I am back. Bought a new Honda Accord to drive while I was too busy to do anything else (Sold my truck). Will pass it on to the wife when I find a Mercedes to convert. Her Subaru gets crummy mileage and we don't need the AWD anymore.
My previous search led a guy at work to get a 300D fom a friend for free. He is now converting it to a two tank WVO car. Am waiting to see the results before getting too nuts. He got a non-turbo car which is way slow. I now think i really want a turbo car. e-bay has couple low milage california cars that look tempting.

How are the automatics in these things. I figure $$ will have to be spent on A/C repair but was hoping to avoid an Auto rebuild. Any ideas on cost to rebuild one. I am thinking pre-85 5 cylinder Turbo diesel. Guessing all the Auto Tranny's were created equal.

Anyone have any more info to share..

Thanks

Bender, I work in Baltimore and live near the PA line. Always willing to talk shop.
See ya
You can buy a rebuilt tranny for about $1200. http://www.adsitco.com/category.asp?CID=1634&VID=

Old 06-18-2006, 08:23 PM

so- you wanna talk crappy wrecked MB diesel stories

I got a 1987 190Td in december, perfect shape, immaculate for $2800. went to NY to get it (from MA, ebay). my first car. insured it w/o collision. 116K miles. 5th day i had it on the road i was crossing a street and some craqzy woman was going 65mph in a 35 zone and nailed me in teh passengers side. i was buckeled up and i got thrown pretty far- into other vehicles. Knocked my eyeglasses right off my face. I got out, noone else was hurt, and she started yelling at me and asked me if she could leave (her jeep wasnt totaled) there were witnesses who said they will report her if she does. she said she is late for her shrikn appointment. she was on the anti depressants that she shouldnt have been drivingunder. she then said that she did nothign wrong and she SAW me run the stop sign to the police. I said i didnt but they didnt believe me (being 16 y/o). tow truck came, loaded my car up. I was pissed and way shooken up- just lost $5K+. then randomly the storekeeper came out with his laptop and said hey look at this. It was a security cam video fomr his parkin lot showin the whole accident and allowed the polcie to estimate her speed at 65mph. long story short and after alllooooot of finagling with insurance companies (it was my car, however was not insured under me to save $) her insurance ended up paying for my car.

Old 06-20-2006, 03:08 PM

Hi,

I too have gotten the diesel bug. I am currently converting an '85 240D to a two tank WVO system for a friend but now I want one for my own. I am sure that I want at least a 5 cyl (doesn't even have to be turbo but turbo prefered).

What years was the 123 style available? Any reason that I shouldn't get a diesel newer than a 123? Do the newer Diesels get better fuel economy than the 123's?

Thanks

Old 06-20-2006, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: WD8CDH

Hi,

I too have gotten the diesel bug. I am currently converting an '85 240D to a two tank WVO system for a friend but now I want one for my own. I am sure that I want at least a 5 cyl (doesn't even have to be turbo but turbo prefered).

What years was the 123 style available? Any reason that I shouldn't get a diesel newer than a 123? Do the newer Diesels get better fuel economy than the 123's?

Thanks
1) 77-85.

2) The 617 engine (123 chassis OE) is perhaps the most tolerant diesel engine available for WVO. Doesn't mean that newer diesels can't run on WVO, but 123's are older (and therefore usually cheaper to buy) and are very tolerant.

3) The 617 engine is IDI and therefore less efficient. In general, the newer the engine the more efficient it is (but also the more complicated and probably less tolerant). But if you're running WVO for free, who cares about MPG?

IMO, the 123 is the best conversion value. I personally would also like a 99-01 Ford F250 PSD and VW Cabrio (with transplanted TDI engine) to convert as well. One day...........

Old 06-20-2006, 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: blhfla

ORIGINAL: WD8CDH

Hi,

Thanks
1) 77-85.

2) The 617 engine (123 chassis OE) is perhaps the most tolerant diesel engine available for WVO. Doesn't mean that newer diesels can't run on WVO, but 123's are older (and therefore usually cheaper to buy) and are very tolerant.

3) The 617 engine is IDI and therefore less efficient. In general, the newer the engine the more efficient it is (but also the more complicated and probably less tolerant). But if you're running WVO for free, who cares about MPG?

IMO, the 123 is the best conversion value. I personally would also like a 99-01 Ford F250 PSD and VW Cabrio (with transplanted TDI engine) to convert as well. One day...........
I guess I should have asked are the SLIGHTLY newer diesels more efficient than the 123 series 617 engines? Specifically the '86 thru early '90s (only thing I can afford). Is there much differance in reliability with the '86 thru early '90s engines compared with the 617 engines?

I want to keep with the mechanical IDI engines. The F250 is too big and the VW TDI is too expensive for me now. My budget for the car is about $6000.

Thanks,

Old 06-21-2006, 01:24 PM

The newer the models the better the MPG, in general. You are talking about the 603 engine in the W124/126? Yes it should get better MPG, but I don't think it is all that significant if you're running WVO. Of course it is the newer body style or the S class, for me those would be more compelling reasons to buy one. If you can get a nice one for $6k (you should be able to), I'd say do it.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:11 PM

I am a little confused about the numbering. I origionally thought the 123 was the late 70s thru 85 cars but a search showed the 124 was thru 85???? Is that correct or is the 124 86-87? When was the 126 or what is the differance? And what is the differance between a SD and an SDL? I have been searching the archives until I am blue but can't seem to find consistant answers. The W means wagon doesn't it?

Is the 603 motor a 6 cyl 3 liter motor with an iron block but aluminum heads but otherwise very similar to the 617?

What was the next generation? Was it back to 5 cyl and only 2.5 liter? Aluminum?

Were those two generations of motors as reliable as the 617 except for possably less resistance to overheating due to the aluminum?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for Diesel Mercedes to run WVO