Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Looking for Diesel Mercedes to run WVO

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Default Looking for Diesel Mercedes to run WVO

Hello,
I am a TDR member who is looking to purchase a Mercedes Diesel to convert to WVO. Any wisdom as to which model is best. I would like a comfortable car that I can fit my small family (3) into for long trips and I plan to use the car for my 70 mile a day commute. My CTD is a true beast of a truck with power to spare but it would not be happy running on WVO. The Mercedes should be the perfect vehicle for my needs. I just need help deciding which model is best. Dumb question number one. Do all the diesels have a D in the model number. I would like to keep my investment under say 8K but would really be thrilled by spending less. Any advice as to what to stay away from or look for would be appreciated. Looking forward to becoming a contributing member of your forum
Tractorface

Old 08-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Default RE: Looking for Diesel Mercedes to run WVO

I would personally go with a mid 80s 300sd.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:35 PM

Didn't post the state/country but 8 grands will buy you 2.5 liter 300D from 90's.
There was one advertised here.
Those from 80's are not too economical, although workhorses.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM

I bought a w123 to 'test' the wvo theory. It has worked out so well that I just bought a 123dt in better shape to convert and use as a 'keeper'.
If the ride/comfort/size is okay, I wouldn't sweat the mpg as you will be running on free fuel. I chose the <85s since they have the iron heads.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:39 PM

My fault. I am in Harford county Maryland. I have a reputation for buying "less than perfect" vehicles and spending way too much time and money repairing them only to get bored and sell at a huge loss. I really need to do this right as my wife is giving me the bussiness. I would prefer say a 1985 300SD but I like the idea of buying a beater to try out the WVO process and make sure it is for me. I need to buy something that is not going to need huge repairs although I am very capable of doing any repairs myself. I will probably build my own conversion rather than purchase as I can have the tank built at work for next to nothing. Plumbing looks pretty basic too. I want to end up with a nice "as close to factory" install as possible and then just drive it and not have to work on the car all the time. I have spent a lot of $$ adding more power to my CTD and then having to upgrade the Auto trans to hold the power etc. I need to get out of that game before I go crazy and broke. Have to have something to "fool" with hence the WVO Mercedes idea. I can never drive a gasser again, the CTD ruined me. I need to get up with the Mercedes lingo, not sure what folks are referring to yet. I like the idea of cast Iron heads instead of Aluminum. At least I have read enough to stay away from the 350 "rodbenders"
Thanks already

Old 09-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Hey Tractorface,
I'm a Baltimoron, too. I just purchased a 79 300D and once it is solid, I'm going to run the golden oilys in it. Want to chat?

Old 09-21-2005, 12:21 PM

Update.

My 123s are wrecked and I bought a 90 350 sdl...yes the rod bender. I am going to run 2 tank setup on this one as well. I will keep updated.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: andmoon

Update.

My 123s are wrecked I will keep updated.

How that happened?
Wrecking in short time 2 "built like tank" cars with "foolproof and bulletproof" engine?

Old 09-23-2005, 07:46 PM

First accident in a car since I started driving in 1979. Red light runner hit me in NYC on labor day. No license, no english (I am an immigrant myself) and no sorry (got a bunch of citations but I don't think he considered himself any worse off). The 123s are tanks and saved me and my family from serious injury. 123 wagon developed a new exit under driver's seat and visions of a reverse James Bond ejection led me to put her out to pasture (wife somehow found this more joyous than the births of our kids)

I have taken the plunge and bought a rod bender 350sdl for $7500. And I used to think diesels were cool only if they were free.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:09 PM

I have a reputation for buying "less than perfect" vehicles and spending way too much time and money repairing them only to get bored and sell at a huge loss.
I have battled this affliction for years.

Quick Reply: Looking for Diesel Mercedes to run WVO