Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Just got an 85 300D. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Default Just got an 85 300D. What now?

I posted a week ago about getting a 190D and adding a turbo (thanks for the responses I knew it was along shot). Anyway, last Saturday I went to the local public machinery auction (with everything from hot water heaters to Peterbuilt semi's) and bought an 85 300D in fantastic condition for $1500. No rust or dents, interior almost perfect, everything works (haven't tried sunroof yet and no radio for antenna) and it's just broken in at 200k. Spin balanced the wheels and it drives straight and true and has nads when you need them. Engine strong and clean and tranny shifts smooth when cruising but really means it when you stomp on it. There was also a 1984 BMW 524td that went for $2400 and it was JUNK: headliner falling, interior dirty and torn, engine leaking oil, rust everywhere. Why nobody bid on my Mercedes (but wanted the BMW) is a mystery to me but so much the better! This is my first Mercedes and I must say it lives up to my expectations. Now let the fun begin.

I know I will replace the struts (and tires soon) and probably buff the paint (doesn't need anything else). I also will put in a REAL sound system but don't know what speakers will fit in the dash (it's tight). I am going to put a butt pounding Audiobahn in the trunk but in a stealth fashion (I like to listen to my stereo, not look at it). Of course I will be getting a PlantDrive VO conversion kit (one reason I bought the car) and a 2nd smaller diesel tank for startup/shutdown. I also am interested in some performance mods (it WILL go, but sometimes I REALLY like to go). My 99 Ford Powerstroke can be tricked out with a performance 'flip' chip, bigger exhaust, CAI, beefier turbo, etc.

So what can be done to these engines, other than perhaps a K&N? CAI? Exhaust? Turbo upgrade? Intercooler? Has anyone added a bypass oil filter? Tranny cooler? Or are these machines 'better left alone'? It runs great and the more I drive it the more I like it, but I just want to see if I can give it a little extra.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Just got an 85 300D. What now?

Don't forget you butt pounding subs will have to pulse thru the fuel tank to reach the cabin.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: andmoon

Don't forget you butt pounding subs will have to pulse thru the fuel tank to reach the cabin.
I was planning on mounting them under the rear deck (directly facing up into the cabin) but I don't want to cut anything there if possible (I like to keep everything as original as possible). Also that really limits the size of the subs but I don't think there are many options.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:59 PM

go with a larger exhaust and an intercooler. Beyond that I wouldn't touch it. Those engines are bullet proof for a reason. Those crazy germans know their stuff when it comes to designing a reliable engine. Just keep that in mind.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:57 PM

gunny, what exhaust did you use? Anyone added an intercooler? Is there a kit(s) available? I also saw some info on bumping the wastegate a couple PSI, anyone do this?

I buffed and waxed this weekend, and the car looks like new. I used the sunroof and it works perfect! I am going to order some valve wrenches from Diesel Giant to do the adjustment but I think I'll leave the timing chain/water pump to my mechanic. Man I love this car.