Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Just Bought a 1983 300SD

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Default Just Bought a 1983 300SD

Hey guys, second to last sunday I bought a 1983 300SD.
Text wall incoming:

After driving it home, I changed oil, added transmission fluid, power steering fluid(hose is busted, order one and it's coming in on wednesday), air filter seemed to be in good shape, and replaced belts.

I plan on running the diesel already in the tank through the engine then, when putting new diesel in, add some seafoam to it and run it thru the system. (The injectors are recently new (probably 10 - 15k miles) but I think it would be nice to have a nice background for the car (everything I've done I know it has been done), it had a vegetable oil conversion done to it the two separate tanks are nice)

After that's done, I plan on changing the fuel filters.
Is there anything else I should change out?

Mechanically the car runs nice except for every once in a while (it hasn't happened for a few days, it might have been bad diesel or old diesel) the car will get really slow and almost sound like its stutterring and I can only maintain a very low speed. What could be the issue here? Is it just old diesel?
The car seems to run a little better every time I drive it and I haven't experienced it since Friday.

Also, the car seems to rev a bit higher when switching from second to third (as in, regardless of how much the pedal is down, the car will rev just a wee bit higher and switch over), is this perhaps gear oil?

Last thing, aesthetic questions time.

What wax would you guys recommend (It's a white car, I'll upload some pictures tomorrow), how do i clean the chrome trim (it seems to be faded / water resin on it that won't come off), will Back To Black work on the mirror coverings / handles even if they are gray and, finally, how would I go about cleaning the engine compartment (without removing the engine would be preferrable) of grease / dirt / etc?

Thanks in advance,

-Remote

Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by RemoteSsh
Hey guys, second to last sunday I bought a 1983 300SD.
Text wall incoming:

After driving it home, I changed oil, added transmission fluid, power steering fluid(hose is busted, order one and it's coming in on wednesday), air filter seemed to be in good shape, and replaced belts.

I plan on running the diesel already in the tank through the engine then, when putting new diesel in, add some seafoam to it and run it thru the system. (The injectors are recently new (probably 10 - 15k miles) but I think it would be nice to have a nice background for the car (everything I've done I know it has been done), it had a vegetable oil conversion done to it the two separate tanks are nice)

After that's done, I plan on changing the fuel filters.
Is there anything else I should change out?

Mechanically the car runs nice except for every once in a while (it hasn't happened for a few days, it might have been bad diesel or old diesel) the car will get really slow and almost sound like its stutterring and I can only maintain a very low speed. What could be the issue here? Is it just old diesel?
The car seems to run a little better every time I drive it and I haven't experienced it since Friday.

Also, the car seems to rev a bit higher when switching from second to third (as in, regardless of how much the pedal is down, the car will rev just a wee bit higher and switch over), is this perhaps gear oil?

Last thing, aesthetic questions time.

What wax would you guys recommend (It's a white car, I'll upload some pictures tomorrow), how do i clean the chrome trim (it seems to be faded / water resin on it that won't come off), will Back To Black work on the mirror coverings / handles even if they are gray and, finally, how would I go about cleaning the engine compartment (without removing the engine would be preferrable) of grease / dirt / etc?

Thanks in advance,

-Remote
I don't recommend the WVO as Fuel either.
However, the Fuel Hoses should be changed to Viton or you can use 5/16" Fuel Injection Hose SAE J30R9 or 30R90 SAE 30R9 that you get from an regular Auto Parts Store as it is lined withe Viton. The GoodYear Version has a Blue Lining and the Gates Version I believe has a brown lining.

The Injector Fuel Retun Lines can be replaced with Viton or Weed Wacker Plastic Fuel Hose that you can get from Lawnmower Repair Shops and some Hardware Stores; from My Notes:
Injector return hose plastic tube
any lawnmower/chainsaw repair shop should have hose that will work too.
I bought a 50' box of 1/8" tygon clear fuel hose and the stuff holds up for about 3 years.
cost me like 15.00
The brand I used is Oregon, it is a Tygon fuel hose.
Tygothane (Saint Gobain is the Manufacturer)

More Notes: Authousaz has this info next to the Fuel Return Line: Fuel Hose/Line; 3.2mm ID x 1.9mm;
According to this site: Convert inches to mm - Conversion of Measurement Units
1/8"= 0.125"=3.175mm
So 1/8" ID Hose is actually a little tighter than the 3.5mm stock Hose.
Another company may have specs

On mine for major cleaning the Engine normal Engine Degreaser works. But, besure not to leave it on past the time in the Instructions as it can discolor Aluminum.

If it needs light cleaning after that I spray on something like Purple Power let it sit for 30 min and hose if off. The Pruple Power can also discolor Aluminum if you leave it on for hours and hours.

I would adjust the Valves as soon as you can. The Vlave Clearances close up in use. Adjust everh 15,000 miles. Prior owners do not know they need adjustment or just don't do it due to the lack of ability to do it themselves or they don't want to pay to have it done.

The stuttering Engine is not normal. You won't know if it is the old Fuel until you have used it up and run a few Tank fulls of Diesel Fuel Through it.