Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Insurance company clueless

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Default Insurance company clueless

My 81 300 SD was rearended on Easter by some kid in a Nissan. His insurance company says the damage is around $2400 (Bent the bumper down a little, cracked a taillight lens and bent up the rear panel above the bumper) They are now trying to tell me the car is worth $2100 because the two cars they compared it to (one 200 miles away) sold for around that. Then to add insult to injury, they give me the option of buying my car back for $250 (I get to spend $250 to buy my own car, get less money than what it takes to fix it, and end up with a salvage title- I don't think so)
I told them that they obviously had no clue what similar cars are going for, especially ones with no mechanical issues, all the bells and whistles working, and no cosmetic damage. Other than sending them a list of similar cars on Autotrader.com, Craigslist etc. to compare to, does anyone have any ideas how to establish the realistic value of my car? I'm not trying ot screw anyone, (I pointed out to the adjuster that I was getting screwed by being honest, since I could have just grabbed my neck and gotten a few thou extra) I just want to be made "whole" and get my car fixed right. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Bob Hofferber
Vancouver WA

Old 05-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Default RE: Insurance company clueless

might want to post this issue over at thedieselstop.com other technical question forum.

do u have collision on the car ? insured regular ins rather than collector ?

i guess the advantage of the collector ins is if something like this happens your insurer pays out the declared value and fight s with the at fault party, least that the way i think it works. but annual mileage on my policy is 3k a year

Old 05-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Default RE: Insurance company clueless

Get an attorney let him do the work for you.. That sounds like a total screw job I'd be pissed.. I'd go out of my way to spend 2400 dollars just to prove my point to those idiots.. I hate insurance co's.