General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Adsit Company and the cursed '73

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:33 AM
Default Adsit Company and the cursed '73

Has anyone had issues with Adsitco motors? I'm having a few. It all started with delays, when I first purchased the motor they said it would be at my mechanic's shop within two weeks. Two weeks later I called wondering where it was, and they weren't finished building it yet. A week after that I called again and they said it would be here in a few days. It finally arrived two days after they said it would. That was in July.

We figured I would have the car in about a week barring no problems. Well, a few bolts had to be replaced and belts had to be ordered, then I get called down one afternoon, the water pump that came with the new engine didn't actually fit in the car, luckily I had already ordered one since the description did not say if I needed one or not. Well that one didn't fit either so we used the one on the old engine. Once that was cleared up I was called down again, this time the crankshaft was frozen. Through a phone call we found out there was an issue with the torque converter and that was fixed.

Well just a few days ago I got yet another call. Now even though it runs there is lots of noise that shouldn't be there and there is absolutely no oil pressure (when we called about the crank they mentioned that all engines are spun and oil pressure is tested). Even though I have a backup oil pump for the same reason as the water pump, the clanking, and the fact that the valves were sticking and no cylinders were up to pressure prior to starting I need a new engine. Did I mention that the new engine spent its merry time during the truck freight wrapped in plastic, on its side held to a wooden packing crate with only wire? I love the car but it is testing my patience. Have any of you lived through this?

1973 280C