Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

injecter problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Default injecter problems

I have a 1998 E300 Turbodiesel with 160k miles. I have had trouble starting it and once it starts it runs fine. I had it checked out by my local mechanic and the Mercedes dealer who both say it is injecter leakdown. I did a diesel purge and the problem persists. The dealer suggested a diagnostic test that cost $500 to determine which injecter(s) is/are the problem. Any suggestions how to handle this would be most appreciated. The car is in great shape otherwise.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Default RE: injecter problems

ORIGINAL: gianigreco

I have a 1998 E300 Turbodiesel with 160k miles. I have had trouble starting it and once it starts it runs fine. I had it checked out by my local mechanic and the Mercedes dealer who both say it is injecter leakdown. I did a diesel purge and the problem persists. The dealer suggested a diagnostic test that cost $500 to determine which injecter(s) is/are the problem. Any suggestions how to handle this would be most appreciated. The car is in great shape otherwise.
I cleaned my injectors and replaced the nozzles and heat shields on my old MB... It was easy and only took a couple of hours.... But it's an easy engine to work on and I don'tknow if it applies to your engine.I followed the pictorial at http://www.dieselgiant.com/mercedesi...zlereplace.htm

Old 01-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Oops

Old 01-16-2007, 12:18 AM

Hi Charlie,
Did you buy the Bosio nozzles?

Regards,
John

Old 01-16-2007, 12:17 PM

I haven't bought anything yet. Thanks.
Jon

Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: jlguler

Hi Charlie,
Did you buy the Bosio nozzles?

Regards,
John
Good morning John
Yes, I did it before burning WVO. Wanting everything to be operating properly, I replaced the old Bosch with Bozio's... I think about $65.00 for 5. In the process I found the # 2 injector needed another shim, i.e., it wasn't putting enough load on the nozzle. So I probably didn't really need new nozzles, who knows? Anyway, I don't have any issues with the Bozio's, but Henry and gang were disgusted that I didn't buy Bosch.
I tookthe bad injectorto a shop that specializes in repairing injector pumps and injectors. They pop tested it and added the necessary shim/shims to bring it up to par... Took them about 10 minutes and they didn't even charge me...
But in retrospect, I should have had them pop test all 5 injectors. I'll do it in the spring, right before I have him painted.
In the meantime, Bruno, the 300D T, is purring like a big cat... He's an outdoor auto and burning at least 95% WVO in a single, unheated tank, he starts on the first click at tempertures around 24 degrees....
But, as you know, I've gotan excellent, no water, very thin WVO source... I leave a jar of WVO outside at the side of the driveway. The jar froze to the concrete, so I had unscrew the cap in place and stick in a finger.... It was icy cold and thicker than honey, just on the cusp of becoming a lump... But old Bruno starts everytime!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the input Chartles. I like that you named him Bruno. My Benz is Udo.
Jon

Old 01-18-2007, 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: gianigreco

Thanks for the input Chartles. I like that you named him Bruno. My Benz is Udo.
Jon
Ahh, is his last nameDirkschneider, und does that old Beckerreceive Heavy Metal?