Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Inheriting 300D Turbo - Know Nothing, Total Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Default Inheriting 300D Turbo - Know Nothing, Total Newbie

Hey everyone --

Just joined this forum. I'm going to be the owner of a 300D Turbo because my grandparents are giving it to me. I'm pretty excited, but I keep hearing how expensive it may be to maintain the car.

I know absolutely nothing about cars, but should I expect an arm and a leg to own this car? I'd love to keep the car in the family, but if it's too costly, it won't be worth it.

Also, it hasn't been used in awhile, so we're taking it to a shop to have it inspected. Are there any specific questions I should ask the mechanic?

Again, I know nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Default Fyi

Originally Posted by richardonthego
Hey everyone --

Just joined this forum. I'm going to be the owner of a 300D Turbo because my grandparents are giving it to me. I'm pretty excited, but I keep hearing how expensive it may be to maintain the car.

I know absolutely nothing about cars, but should I expect an arm and a leg to own this car? I'd love to keep the car in the family, but if it's too costly, it won't be worth it.

Also, it hasn't been used in awhile, so we're taking it to a shop to have it inspected. Are there any specific questions I should ask the mechanic?

Again, I know nothing.

Thanks in advance.
To save BIG money, I suggest you learn how to repair this car, you will need this.
W123 service manual free from MB
Untitled Document

I also suggest subscribing to Mercedes EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog).
EPC-net Online

If you have difficulty, try using Internet Explorer and:
Remove all versions of JAVA on your computer using add or remove programs or programs and features in the control panel.

Go to Java Downloads for All Operating Systems Version 6 Update 38

Download the 32 BIT version of JAVA, version 38, install and retry EPC.net.

32 BIT is required for EPC.net and version 6.

Version 7 or 64bit versions are not supported at this time.

whunter@pelicanparts.com

Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM

I would agree with whunter - if you don't want to learn to maintain and fix it yourself, you should probably get rid of it and get a Japanese transportation appliance. The cost of having a "professional" do any work will be too much.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM

These Cars need perodic Valve Adjustments.

In the past I was a Diesel Mechanic and I have found My Mercedes to be more work than any Car I have owned.

Right now My Car is sitting in the Back Yard waiting for a new Steering Colum/Ignition Housing Lock to arrive (the shaft inside that turns the Ignition Switch broke). It seems every Year My Car ends up siting waiting for Parts.

I say they are good Hobby Cars but I am gald I have other vehicles to drive while the Mercedes sits.

If you are in a hurry to get your Car Fixed and back on the Road fast you will end up paying a higher price for the Parts and places like Aotozone and the like are not places you can count on getting the best quality Parts.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM

on the plus side, if properly maintained, that motor will run forever