Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Help, sunroof wont close

Old 04-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Default Help, sunroof wont close

I have a 1984 300 SD Turbo. Today the motor for my sunroof went out on me and I cant close the sunroof. It is shut all the way but the back end of the sliding roof is down. It didnt pop up level with the rest of the roof. The motor is so bad that I cant even manualy shut it. Does anyone know any other way to close this. I know if it rains water will drip in. Please help me if you can.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Default RE: Help, sunroof wont close

You'll have to disassemble the motor drive mechanism.Remove the motor from the assembly and manuallyturn the drive gear toslide the rear of the roof panel into the up position until you can get a new motor.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Default RE: Help, sunroof wont close

If you pull back the trunk liner on the left side panel of the trunk as if you were trying to get at the antenae,look a little further front then the antenae and you should see a platic piece thata spark plug socket will fit over. It is attatched to the sunroof motor and acts as a manual emergency sunroof closer when you put a soct on it and turn with a ratchet. I have two kinds of emergency wrenches for the sunroof and niether one works as well as the socket and ratchet. The roof panel will move very slowly when you turn the wrench. Mine went out a couple of years back...thought it was the motor. I got a copper type fuse for the fuse box insted of the metal type fuse that came with the car. Changed the fuse out and have not had a problem with it since! Cost me 45 cents per fuse...changed them all out with the brass/copper looking fuses and have not had an electrical problem with any of the systems. Good luck!
Greg