Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

help please, diesel priming needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Default help please, diesel priming needed?

hi, I've got a c250d 1997 and just tried to fit a prefilter to the fuel line.
this didn't work out as now I can't get it started. I think there must be air in the fuel lines ( I hope that is the only problem )
Could someone please tell me the best way to get the car started. Is some kind of priming required?
I've spent an hour cranking it over on the starter motor. It just doesn't suck any diesel out of the tank and into the engine.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
thanks

Old 09-04-2010, 11:19 PM

I do not know if this is your problem but if Air gets into the High Pressure part of the system; between the Fuel Injection Pump and the Injectors it is difficult to crank the Engine and get the Air out.

The solution for the above is to loosen the Fuel Injection Tubing/Hard Line Nuts at the Injectors and back the Nuts off a turn or so. Crank the Engine until you see Fuel coming out from under all of them; tighten the Nuts and attempt to start.

If you see no Fuel coming out at all you have some sort of Fuel Supply problem. There is a filter screen in the Fuel Tank, any of the filters can be plugged or there could be an air leak causing the Fuel Supply Pump to suck Air instead of fuel.

Also what shuts down the Engine on your year and Model. If it is something Electric it may be that you disconnect the wire to the Fuel Shutoff by accident.

Loosen the Fuel Supply Pump's outlet connection and see if Fuel comes out. That will give you some idea if Fuel is actually getting inside of the Fuel Injection Pump.