Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Got my first car, 300D Turbo, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Default Got my first car, 300D Turbo, some questions

Well i just picked up my first Mercedes ever, and my first car purchase really. I got it for $3k and it is in great shape. it has 165k miles on it, and everything works. It has a bad paintjob, which i am thinking will get repainted in a year or so. But there are only like 5 small rock "dings" that have some rust where the paint is missing, and a full detail job should not be that expenive.(anyone know what a full detail and paint job would cost?)

Things that need some small fixing...
-The rear passenger door window will go down only when the door is open?
-The steering has lots of play and i think it should be a lot tighter. i did see a post where someone asked the samething, but i dont know too much about cars yet, to just go under the hood and check it.
-The rubber on the rear bumper came off and the owner just glued it on. it is comming off but it looks like it should hook on it, it has many that should hook it on the bumper, but i cant figure it out how it is supposed to stay on it. do i have to remove the black plastic that goes from the car over the chrome (it hides the gap) right now it is hanging off. i can try to upload one pic (not sure how right now) and that would show exactly what i mean.
-The AC blows kinda cool, it has been converted over to 134a and i have never done much with cars, but my friend could show me/ recharge the AC. is that all i should try to do to see if it gets better?
-The clear plastic that is around the round headlights has a crack in it(passenger side), i want to replace it. should i go to a junkyard?
-The belts have some small cracks in them when i look at the inside of them. how soon should i replace those?
-The passenger seat either has broken springs, or something. when you sit in it, you kinda lean towards the door. something in it is weird. the car is red interior, how hard or much will a seat be to buy?
-The radio is factory, can i put a cd/mp3 player in there without many issues? i am keeping the original, but i guess i will need the wiring adapter.

I guess the steering is the only thing that i would want changed, the steering wheel is not straight. When i drive straight, the steering while is turned to the left at about 11 o clock (if the top of the steering wheel is 12)

there are some oil leaks one some parts of the engine, i will figure out what they are on (what parts) and see to get some pics up (will be easier to see)

Thanks all,

Dan

Old 08-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Default RE: Got my first car, 300D Turbo, some questions

You can check you steering gear and, mayby, reduce the play if the gear isn't worn. If you don't have much experience don't do it on your own, because the gear should be removed and special tools used.

If you decide to do it, I can give you a detailed manual, because I did it recently in my car.

But before check all joints and bushings in your steering.