Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Default fuel problem

I got a 81 300td, the other day i was driving down the road and it started to loss some power while driving. Then all of the sudden i could only go 4.9 mhp completely floored. now it basically just turns over and shuts off right away. I changed the fuel filters and checked to see if the lines were clogged and they seemed to be alright. Also when it was turtling the turbo had some unusual smoke coming off it. I think it might be the injectors or something. It seems to be flowing alright through to at least the hand pump but after that i dont know. Any suggestions.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikecorts
I got a 81 300td, the other day i was driving down the road and it started to loss some power while driving. Then all of the sudden i could only go 4.9 mhp completely floored. now it basically just turns over and shuts off right away. I changed the fuel filters and checked to see if the lines were clogged and they seemed to be alright. Also when it was turtling the turbo had some unusual smoke coming off it. I think it might be the injectors or something. It seems to be flowing alright through to at least the hand pump but after that i dont know. Any suggestions.
Are you using only Diesel Fuel.

Check your Throttle linkages to see that they are not too sloppy. The Bell Crank on the Fire Wall has a plastic Bushing that falls apart as can the Rubber part of it.

Your Turbo does not kick in until about 2000 rpms so it sould not effect you at lower speeds.
You might want to check your Fuel Tank Screen to see if that is clogged.
Other issues:
If you have too much crankcase pressure it will push the Diaphragm of your Vacuum Shutoff Valve into the shutoff position. Something that could cause this to suddenly happen would be a blown Head Gasket. See if it will startwith the Oil Fill Cap off (but do not run it long like that or you will end up with a mess).

However, while I have not read of this I guess if the Seal on the Turbine Side of your Turbo Charger was bad enough it would allow Exhaust Gas into the Crank Case by way of the Turbo charger Drain.

Could something from the Road have come up and blocked the Air Intake?

All of your Injectors would not suddenly go bad unless something has happen to the contaminate the Fuel.

When you changed the Filters did you loosen the Nuts on the Fuel Injection Lines at the Injectors and crank until Fuel came out of them; to bleed the Air out of them; and then tightened them and attempted to start?

Last edited by Diesel9112; 11-22-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 PM

It runs on both diesel and veg oil. it has two separate tanks, when it started to malfunction it was on diesel. I took off all the fuel lines and nothing seemed to be clogged. I also tried the oil cap to check for the head gasket but now it doesn't even want to turn over, there isn't any coolant leaking either. I've done some more reading and could it be that the fuel pump isn't working to full compasity. Is there other ways that i could test that. Also thinking about the compression, i was told once that if you take the hose off the thing next to the oil fill and cover it you can tell the compression by how long it takes to shut off. I did that before any problems and it went about 3 to 4 secs. before shutting off. The guy that informed me didn't remember if it was good to go quick or vise versa.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by mikecorts
It runs on both diesel and veg oil. it has two separate tanks, when it started to malfunction it was on diesel. I took off all the fuel lines and nothing seemed to be clogged. I also tried the oil cap to check for the head gasket but now it doesn't even want to turn over, there isn't any coolant leaking either. I've done some more reading and could it be that the fuel pump isn't working to full compasity. Is there other ways that i could test that. Also thinking about the compression, i was told once that if you take the hose off the thing next to the oil fill and cover it you can tell the compression by how long it takes to shut off. I did that before any problems and it went about 3 to 4 secs. before shutting off. The guy that informed me didn't remember if it was good to go quick or vise versa.
Concerning the last few sentances; if you have a lot of Blow-by it can shut you down. The Blow-by pushes on the Vacuum Shutoff Diaphragm.
If I plug my Crank Case Breather at that rubber Elbow it takes about 7 seconds before the Engine starts to stumble around like it is going to shutoff.
But, for testing you can simply try to start your Engine without the Oil Fill Cap on. That will relive any Blow-by/Crankcase Pressure from having an effect on your starting.

If by Fuel Pump you were meaning the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump there is 3 tests for that. A pressure test for which you need a Liquid Filled Gauge for (even with that the needle bounces a lot).
There is a Vacuum Test of the Fuel Inlet side.
And, there is a Fuel Volume test.

For now I would loosen all of your Fuel Injection Lines at the Injectors and see if you are getting Fuel out of them when you Crank the Engine. Once you start getting fuel to them tighten the Nuts and attempt to start.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 AM

When troubleshooting stuff it is often easier to buypass stuff. One of the things I have done in the past is to remove the Fuel Inlet hose from the inline Plastic Filter and get a length of 5/16" Fuel Hose and connect that to the Filter with the other end in a Container of clean Diesel Fuel.
Pump on the Hand Primer until you hear a squishing or buzzing sound coming from your Fuel Injection Pump. After that continue pumping on the hand primer 25 times more to be sure.
Loosen the Fuel Injection Line Nuts at the Injectors and crank your Engine until you see Fuel coming out. Tighten the nuts and attempt to start.
If you are gettin Fuel but still not starting starting I would go to the Diesel Giant web site and follow his how to check the Glow Plugs pictorial.

From what I have been reading in the various forums over the years is that burning veggie Oil over time has a bad effect (over time). The maybe about 20% who get longivity from their Engines are people who are careful how the manage everthing pertaing to the Veggie system and other issures that keep their car going.

Previous Veggie uses often unload/sell their cars to others when they start having problems.