Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Forum bias, I know, but help me out here

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Default Forum bias, I know, but help me out here

Hi guys, I'm a fairly long time member, and have just been lurking for a while. i've got a question that I just can't figure out without some help and advice from you guys, though.

I'm looking at getting a commuter car, and I'm between 2. One well known reliable one and the other an equally reliable, but maybe not to so much an extent...
The one is a '97 Toyota Camry. 4 cylinder automatic, 180k miles. ho-hum beige exterior with brown leather interior. nothing about it excites me, but I do drive 80 miles a day for the next year, and reliability is a very important thing. I figure I could sell it in a year and for the same amount, or very little less than I paid for it. It's the safe bet, I guess.

The other is older. '91 MB 300D. 255k on the body, and just under 200k on the engine. Engine was replaced about, lessee, 14 years ago. I can't begin to describe the gleam this white paint job has, and according to the owner, it's the original paint. Tan leather. Driver seat has a couple of very minor cracks, and the other seats are perfect. He's converted and been running it on biodiesel for the past year. Gets about 34 mpg on the highway. There's a dent in the passenger door, and he said he has another white door he bought for it, but didn't put it on because he wanted the car to be original, but if I buy it, he'll include it, as well as his "Mercedes diesel selection of stuff" as he calls it. Timing chain was changed recently... Driver door window only goes up partway, then has to be pushed the rest of the way, and the a/c works, but isn't very cold. He said it needs to be recharged. New thermostat, and several other parts... He's the second owner, and he purchased it from his neighbor, who bought another new diesel benz.
I'm a 33 years old, married, with a baby, and I'm in college. I know a mercedes is going to have higher maintenance costs than a Camry, that's a given. I also know that I would be happier driving something different than the Camry driving lemming population. My only concerns are the mileage, and the age of the car, considering my commute distance.
Any advice? Things to look for? if I buy it, will there be any issues with running it on regular diesel from BP? I don't have a clue where to get biodiesel in my area, and I'd rather just stop, pump, and go.

Thanks!

EDIT: I looked it over, under hood, door jambs, etc. and there's no visible rust. I asked him about the biodiesel, and he said it's actual biodiesel, not veggie oil.

Last edited by jasony0423; 06-28-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:51 PM

While I'm not sure either car is what you need the MB has a stronger chance of going the distance. I agree with 'Forced" about the Camry and the mileage. The Camry may have been reliable in the past but a four banger with that kind of mileage could be problematic. You should get a mechanic to give the MB a thorough checkup BEFORE you buy. Worth the cost. A/C can be recharged but a recharge also indicates that it is leaking somewhere. Get that checked as well.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 PM

Alright, thanks for the advice, guys.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:46 AM

Hi,

I'm a newbe to this site, but a long time Mercedes w124 diesel owner and a long time 2.2L 4 cylinder Camry owner.

The Camry is a very economical and extremely reliable car. 180,000 miles is in my opinion about 1/2 of it's life. These 2.2L 5SFE engines are very good motors. The only issue you have to beware of is oil sludge from lack of maintenance.
I get 35 plus miles per gallon on hwy on my car with 220,000 miles on it. Great point A to B car. I've done nothing to the car except regular maintenance. i.e timing belt changes, brakes, tires etc.

With that said, the w124 diesel is a fun car to drive. Handles better, feels better and get's similar mileage. But I've had to repair a lot more things on that car. a/c rebuilt, front end rebuilt, etc.

I like both cars. So choose which car you are more comfortable with.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Diesel engines in general last longer than gas engines, but having said that, what is the rest of the car like? Will it go the distance? What is the transmission like? I typically don't concern myself with the body unless it is ful of cancer. If the rest of the car is in good shape. Look at the underside and the places where rust is likely to form. If it runs and handles good I would optfor the Mercedes