Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Fnt wheel bearings-W210

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Default Fnt wheel bearings-W210

I have a lot of what sounds like suspension noise in my 99 E300 (about 169k) that seems to be coming from somewhere in the rear of the car whenever the car hits small bumps or encounters a rough road. A local mechanic whom I trust drove it around and concluded that there is some sort of chassis bushing that is bad but that his shop could not do the job--see the MB sealer. The dealer's people checked it and surprised me with the report that they could find nothing obviously wrong. But they said I needed to have the front wheel bearings replaced as they might be the cause of the noise. So I had them do it (for $$$). I remember repacking wheel bearings on my cars 30-40 years ago on my VWs and a 62 Porsche--not much of a project then.

But here's the question: Does this car have sealed bearings? If so, what's with repacking sealed bearings? Do they have to be replaced at some interval? If the work is needed, how much labor ought to be involved? Based on the bill they must have taken at least 3 hours.

This is the dealer who told me I need a new Mass Air Sensor for a little over $1,000. The part is available at Pelican for $275 and it looks like maybe 10 minutes of labor, including a coffee break.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by mcguirejw
I have a lot of what sounds like suspension noise in my 99 E300 (about 169k) that seems to be coming from somewhere in the rear of the car whenever the car hits small bumps or encounters a rough road. A local mechanic whom I trust drove it around and concluded that there is some sort of chassis bushing that is bad but that his shop could not do the job--see the MB sealer. The dealer's people checked it and surprised me with the report that they could find nothing obviously wrong. But they said I needed to have the front wheel bearings replaced as they might be the cause of the noise. So I had them do it (for $$$). I remember repacking wheel bearings on my cars 30-40 years ago on my VWs and a 62 Porsche--not much of a project then.

But here's the question: Does this car have sealed bearings? If so, what's with repacking sealed bearings? Do they have to be replaced at some interval? If the work is needed, how much labor ought to be involved? Based on the bill they must have taken at least 3 hours.

This is the dealer who told me I need a new Mass Air Sensor for a little over $1,000. The part is available at Pelican for $275 and it looks like maybe 10 minutes of labor, including a coffee break.
I would first check the rear coil springs at the bottom they usually break. also the barrel joint bushings at the rear wheels could be worn out.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Thanks! I'll do that!