Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Finally acquired an M-B diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Smile Finally acquired an M-B diesel!

Hi all,
I've been a long time fan of Mercedes diesels, but was never in a position where I could have another vehicle taking up space, funds, time, effort, etc. Anyway, some things recently changed & I just yesterday became the owner of a fair condition 1978 300 CD. I know it's nothing fancy, but it really is the type of vehicle I was looking for.

I am not new to diesels, just new to Mercedes diesels.

I have a LOT of questions about this car and more to the point, where to get parts for it??? I've done so many google searches and keep pulling up all kinds of companies who sell random "universal fit" parts and then ridiculous stuff like racing floor mats, carbon fiber air fresheners or glow-in-the-dark hood ornaments. That does not exactly help me. What companies would some of the forum members who do their own wrenching recommend? Like for instance, I need hood hinges and some minor interior trim parts. Can anyone here point me in the right direction for parts such as those? Also is there a proper OEM service manual available on DVD or CD for this car? All ive seen for sale were crappy "Chiltons" or "Haynes" paperback manuals, which in my experiences, were better suited for the purpose of housebreaking puppies than for an actual source of valid technical info.

Also, ive a question about the front seat adjustment. There are some levers in the front of the seat that adjust the forward/backward movement. But then there also are adjuster levers on the sides of the seat, near the door sill, which inconveniently enough have the plastic handles cracked badly enough that grabbing it would slash your skin off your hands, LOL. I tried gently motivating it with a pair of softjaw pliers, but it appears to be frozen in place. What do these levers adjust anyway? I was guessing to recline the front seats? Are these levers easily replaceable? Please pardon my ignorance, in advance.