Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

EGR Code on Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Default EGR Code on Check Engine light

I have a 96 E300D which just gave me a check engine light. Autozone's code reader says
"EGR system fault
The EGM has detected too little flow on the EGR system
Probable causes
-Blocked passage on EGR system
-Failed EGR valve
-EGR solenoid faulty
-Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable
-Failed EGR position sensor where applicable

The car has 175,000 miles and the EGR has been cleaned several times to keep it alive. It is probably time for another one.

Here come the questions:

1) Where can I buy an EGR for a reasonable price, $400 seems a bit much
2) Is the solenoid cheaper to replace? Where to get one of those?
3) Is there any temporary fix that will satisfy the computer and turn off the check engine light until the Calvary arrives?
4) When the problem is corrected will the check engine light go out by itself or is there some procedure to reset it?

Many thanks in advance

Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Default RE: EGR Code on Check Engine light

I have the same year and model. What I would suggest that you try is what I did when I got a "Throttle Sensor" code. You have two vacuum transducers located adjacent to the air filter housing. One controls the resonance flap switch, the other one controls the egr valve. There are number of vacuum lines that feed into those two transducers, and another switch that is located on the left wheel well. It has a small rubber hose connected to it that is attached to the intake manifold. Any failure of one of these elements can cause an error code not necessarily attached to the part it describes. What I did was to make sure that the vacuum lines were in fact holding a vacuum, and that there were no breaks in the lines. The second thing I did was to remove the electrical connectors from each unit, spray them with contact cleaner, and reinstall. If that does not correct your problem, you can try and switch the two vacuum tranducers(as they are the same part), and see if you end up with a different error code. In my case, the code was cleared and did not return. It should be noted that even with the code present, the car operated as designed. Good luck

Old 11-12-2008, 05:27 PM

I am starting to get the first surge issues others have described related to this fault.
I'll try cleaning contacts and replacing vacuum lines first and see how that goes.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 PM

I have the same car with same mileage, I've been getting "Check Engine light" the code says bad TPS Pedal Sensor A and EGR Flow, I don't know what an TPS is or an EGR is, Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM

To see if the surging was related to the EGR code I got some tin snips and made a block off plate for the EGR at the exhaust manifold.
This caused the surge to go away so I know that it was EGR related.
I also got a throttle position switch error code and experimented with cutting off the vacuum to the flapper valve.
I returned the vacuum operation to the flapper valve and the throttle position code went away.

I have heard about, but have not been able to find, a chip that will give a few more horses and torque and eliminate the egr CEL.

Anyone know of a website for a chip like this for a '96 E300D?