Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

diesel injection pump issue

Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Default diesel injection pump issue

99 E300 TD 152000

Had leaking delivery valves, so I replaced the O-rings and crush washers. Everything worked great, but it sounded like it was clacking a little more than before. I drove it over 1000 miles - no problems.

I decided to have another look at the valves while doing in oil change, etc. just to make sure the springs were aligned good & the washers weren't stuck in the delivery valve.

Everything looked fine, but this time when I put it all back together, I had an engine miss.

I traced it down to the delivery valve closest to the front bumper. There is no fuel coming out of it.

When I loosen the delivery valve - plenty of fuel shoots out, but when I tighten it back up (35nm)....nothing comes out. I tried this several times and get the same result. I checked all other delivery valves and they all work fine. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks - Tim

Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by timwstephens
99 E300 TD 152000

Had leaking delivery valves, so I replaced the O-rings and crush washers. Everything worked great, but it sounded like it was clacking a little more than before. I drove it over 1000 miles - no problems.

I decided to have another look at the valves while doing in oil change, etc. just to make sure the springs were aligned good & the washers weren't stuck in the delivery valve.

Everything looked fine, but this time when I put it all back together, I had an engine miss.

I traced it down to the delivery valve closest to the front bumper. There is no fuel coming out of it.

When I loosen the delivery valve - plenty of fuel shoots out, but when I tighten it back up (35nm)....nothing comes out. I tried this several times and get the same result. I checked all other delivery valves and they all work fine. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks - Tim
I have a 96 E300d, and ended up doing my delivery valves twice within a short period of time. After reading the various posts on the different forums, it was suggested that it would not be necessary to change out the small copper crush washer, so I just changed out the o rings. When I put it back together, it had a clacking sound you noted in your post. Other posters who did the job experienced the same thing, but stated it would go away within a few hundred miles. Mine did not go away, and I decided to do the job again, only this time changing the o rings and crush washers. This time, the engine sounded great, with no clacking at all. If I were you, I would again check the valve that is giving you the trouble, and make sure that everything inside is oriented the same way it was when you first did the job, especially the small collar that is below the crush washer. I would also change out the small crush washer with a new one. I have included a link to an excellent DIY piece done by Parrot of Doom. Pay close attention to the part that tells you to rock the delivery valve back and forth as you hand screw it in before your torque it down. He states that the rocking motion helps to orient the parts inside so they do not bind when tightened. Good luck!!

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php?t=211801