Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Coolant/Transmission Fluid Specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Default Coolant/Transmission Fluid Specs

Hello all,
The answer to this question is probably already in the forum somewhere but......

What type of coolant and transmission fluid can I use in my 300SDL?Where can
I purchase it if it is special? I would like to change both fluids in the spring.

I purchased a factory owner's manual, but have not recieved it yet.

Thanks!!
John

Old 11-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Coolant/Transmission Fluid Specs

Coolant is coolant, go with the 50/50 stuff from Prestone to make it easy

Old 11-26-2006, 04:25 PM

Thanks for your help.

Is it normal for the intake manifold to leak on the OM603? I have what looks to be fuel
around the intake where it bolts to the head. I cleaned the area with simple green to pinpoint
the leak, but it's hard to tell. It's either the intake gasket or the injector, it does not seem to be
coming from the injector. I checked the injectors, and they seem to be tight in the head. It looks
pretty easy to replace the gasket, if that's what it is. I wouldn't think it would run so good if the intake
is leaking, but i'm new to these engines. I did perform a purge with a mixture of diesel fuel and seafoam,
seems to run smoother, and I replaced both fuel filters after the purge. The leak was there before, so I don't
think that had anything to do with it.

Thanks for your help, I will use prestone when I flush it out,

John

Old 11-26-2006, 10:46 PM

Hello, I am still brain dead from thanksgiving. Given that the intake is a "dry" intake, it is almost impossible
for it to be leaking liquid. It must be seeping down from the injectors onto the intake runners. Is there a gasket
or o-ring that seals the injector to the head?

Disregard the previous post,
John

Old 12-01-2006, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: jlguler

Hello, I am still brain dead from thanksgiving. Given that the intake is a "dry" intake, it is almost impossible
for it to be leaking liquid. It must be seeping down from the injectors onto the intake runners. Is there a gasket
or o-ring that seals the injector to the head?

Disregard the previous post,
John
It could be coming from the return fuel lines which are connected between the injectors.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:44 PM

It could be coming from the return fuel lines which are connected between the injectors.

Thanks, I'll check that out. It looked like it was coming out where the injector goes into the head, but it could
have seeped down from those fuel lines, I will take a closer look at them, they look original. Do you know what
size they are in case I have to replace them?

Thanks Again,
John

Old 12-01-2006, 10:22 PM

Thanks, I'll check that out. It looked like it was coming out where the injector goes into the head, but it could
have seeped down from those fuel lines, I will take a closer look at them, they look original. Do you know what
size they are in case I have to replace them?

Thanks Again,
John
I had the same trouble and Henry Schuman advised to replace them with the proper black, braided Mercedes hoses..... Of course it could also be seeping down from the fuel line nut at the top of the injector....But that's probably the first thing you put some torque on... But if they're the original hoses, it's time for a new set. To insure you have the right hose and size, just phone or PM Henry and ask him to send you a set.

I usually call and he has them in the mail the next day and they show up a couple of days later.. Make sure you join the forum and he'll sell them to you for only 10% above cost. The last thing I bought was a tach amplifier. List price, $250.00...Henry sold me a new one and free bee'd in 5 heat shields, including postage, for $86.00. After I got it in the mail, I had to nag him into billing me so that I could send him the check....
Good luck.
charlie

Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 PM

I had the same trouble and Henry Schuman advised to replace them with the proper black, braided Mercedes hoses..... Of course it could also be seeping down from the fuel line nut at the top of the injector....But that's probably the first thing you put some torque on... But if they're the original hoses, it's time for a new set. To insure you have the right hose and size, just phone or PM Henry and ask him to send you a set.

I usually call and he has them in the mail the next day and they show up a couple of days later.. Make sure you join the forum and he'll sell them to you for only 10% above cost. The last thing I bought was a tach amplifier. List price, $250.00...Henry sold me a new one and free bee'd in 5 heat shields, including postage, for $86.00. After I got it in the mail, I had to nag him into billing me so that I could send him the check....
Good luck.
charlie

Thanks, I will probably just replace them anyway. I did register on the Schuman Forum as well.......

Regards,
John

Old 12-01-2006, 11:14 PM

I usually call and he has them in the mail the next day and they show up a couple of days later.. Make sure you join the forum and he'll sell them to you for only 10% above cost. The last thing I bought was a tach amplifier. List price, $250.00...Henry sold me a new one and free bee'd in 5 heat shields, including postage, for total of $86.00. After I got it in the mail, I had to nag him into billing me so that I could send him the check....
Good luck.
charlie

Thanks, I will probably just replace them anyway. I did register on the Schuman Forum as well.......

Regards,
John