Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Brake help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Default Brake help!

Well I finally got the brake bleeder that I have needed. I am flushing the system and replacing the brake hoses in my '82 300TD wagon. My shop manual and owners manual do not tell what brake fluid to use, they say to contact my MB dealer. So I call my "local" dealer and someone in the service dept at first tells me DOT 3 and then says it is DOT 4. I don't think he really knew so I am asking you smart people, what should I use? My second question......In an earlier post of mine, before I recieved my shop manual, I inquired about the gap between the pad and the rotors. In someones response they said they thought I needed new springs to help retract the pads. I could not find any reference to springs like this in the shop manual. Am I missing something? Are there springs that in fact do help retract the pads when the pressure is off?
Thanks for your help!!!

Old 12-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Default RE: Brake help!

Years ago, DOT 1, then 2, then 3, had become available. It was a progression of advancements in brake fluide....Generally it is that "water" is a problem within brake fluids. #4, or DOT 4, is but the latest, and best, fluid available. There are synthetic fluids available, but generally, it is recommended by many including MBCA, fluid flushes at least once every other years......Just do it!

To answer your second question, brakes are as individual as each wheel they service, plus the director that addresses all four....

Generally, front calipers Begin to seize in 3 toi 7 years and will generate questions, just as it has you!

Time to do brakes.......?