Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

biodiesel

Old 04-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Default biodiesel

Can anyone give me their thoughts re: the use of biodiesel in a California spec 85 300cd with a trap oxidizer present ?

Previous owner has for reasons unknown to me, not had the TOxidizer removed. The car runs real well on Dino diesel.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:29 AM
Default RE: biodiesel

Hi,

What is the trap oxidizer you speak of? I have a '98 E300 that I bought last fall with 50k miles on it and have only run B99 in it since. I have put about 6000 miles on it without any problems (with 99% BD).

Sorry I didn't answer your question...
Cheers

Old 04-03-2006, 04:40 PM

The dealer will removw that trap under recall. If you are lucky you will get a new turbo out of it as well.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:53 PM

thank you both for replying and my apologies for the delay in answering.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I understand the TOxidizer to be is like a muffler device where exhaust gases are allowed to circulate( and perhaps mixed with outside air) in an effort to burn / oxidize any unburnt fuel or such in an effort to reduce emissions. Was only applicable to CA cars. My friendly mechanic says he thinks the factory offer is now out of date, but a good suggestion, I will write and ask!

My worry was with home produced biodiesel, would this TO get clogged up and eventually cause loss of power at the very least.

Removal of the TO is a reasonably big job with as you say a new turbo required.

thanks again.
[

Old 04-26-2006, 02:59 PM

The TO's were faulty and MB has a no time limit 'campaign' to replace the TO and any other related parts for the life of the vehicle. They do not put in another TO.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:16 AM

Follow up message.

I received a letter from MBUSA saying their records do not show that my 300CD has had the catalyst installed as per their program and I will be talking to the dealership soon to schedule it !

Many thanks for your help 'andmoon'. you sure know your stuff !

Old 05-21-2006, 11:38 PM

You shouldn't have any problems running bio in it. Though I would suggest getting a few fuel filters and keep them handy. Bio diesel will really clean the gunk out of the tank. Should take about a month and maybe 3 or 4 filters, then you will be fine. Making your own is fairly simple, you just have to pay very close attention to what your doing. I make B50 and run that most the year until it gets cold here, then I drop down to B20 {B50 = 50/50 mix veg oil and straight diesel} I may play around with a higher percentage this summer and see how the old golf deals with it.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:27 AM

Thanks Gunny for your answer to what was my original question, the trap oxidizer/ biodiesel compatibility thing.

Just out of interest which model mercedes diesel are you running B50 on ?

And did you say B50 is a 50:50 mixture of regular diesel and veg oil?

Maybe erroneously I had assumed it was the same proportion of regular diesel and biodiesel.

Look forward to your answer.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 PM

Bio-diesel, by definition is veg oil that is processed to remove the glycerin and waste by products from used veg oil so that it can be SAFELY used. This process also thins the veg oil, making it flow better through ip's. Though it can be used at 100%, most "cut" it with fresh diesel since it still is a bit more viscous than straight diesel, hence the term "B50" or any other "B number" signifying the percentage of bio to diesel. the processed veg oil, or bio diesel can have an effect on butyl rubber lines used in some diesels. Though it is widely thought that most european diesels have the required improved lines due to the fact that europe as a whole has been using B20 for a very long time, at least since about the early '80's. You may find that the return line may develop a leak over time due to this. Very cheap to replace the return lines. As of yet I don't have a 'benz diesel, though I do have a vw diesel that I run on bio. I originally got interested in bio diesel from a prof at cornell U that does run it in all of his Mercedes diesels. He was the one who "showed" me the way so to speak. If you want to make your own bio diesel, I suggest going to www.journeytoforever.com there you can have any questions answered about making your own. I do hope to have a mid '80s 300 td very soon and get rid of my pos subaru.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:23 PM

Well my 300CD is back from the dealership.

Y'all with California spec models ( small round air filter box by the radiator) should know that the MBUSA recall issued in 1996 to change the trap oxidizer to an oxidation catalyst is still in force. Mine was replaced gratis.

Thank you MB.

The previous owner had for some reason left it in.

The turbo was inspected and found to be OK and was not changed. Apparently this garrett turbo is no longer being made and if it had been faulty it would have been sent to be reconditioned -- so the service manager informed me.

Driving back, couldn't notice any difference, maybe a bit slower if anything ! Will drive it more now and reassess.