Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Automatic transmissions slip problem? 1983 240D

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Default Automatic transmissions slip problem? 1983 240D

Hi fellow Mercedes owners,
I recently bought a 1983 240D Automatic. I have not had any problems with trannyslippage until a little recently. It only happened twice and at the exact location about tenblocks from my home. I changed the fluid and filter and added a quart of Lucas additive a few day or so earlier. Question: Is it EVER normal for an automatic to slip? Mine slipped on two seperate occasions about 10 blocks from my home. I was taking a right from a dead stop. It noticeably slipped for about three seconds or so. Iwas in drivein drive. I'm not sure if it was between first and second or second and third as my tranny goes into second very very quickly at times (vacum problem I assume). Anyhow, Is it ever normal for a tranny to slip like this? And Why at the exact location. I have never had a problem any where/time else including from that slippage for the rest of the day. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Default RE: Automatic transmissions slip problem? 1983 240D

Trans fluid expands as it warms, so I'm thinking its not full enough. Fluid should be checked with it warm after approx 1/2 hour of car use. Should be virtually at the full mark warm, NEVER above. Turning a corner is a good clue for it being low. Fluid slosses to one side, trans slips. The early shifting is usually too much vacuum reaching the trans. That coupled with low fluid would be more prone to slip. When these trans' are right they tend to harsher shifting than a gas engine car.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the reply carnut. I'm pretty sure the fluid is atthe correct level. I will check again tomorrow. Also due to the fact that it only happened at one corner twice leads me to believe it could be the vacuum situation. Is there a way a novice (me) can work with the vacuum lines? I will attach a photo of my motor. Thanks again.

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...CUMTRANNY1.jpg

Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 PM

By looking at the picture, it appears the vacuum lever or levers are missing on the white vacuum valves located at 6 o'clock and 4 o'clock in the picture. As you rotate the linkage, that large cam rotates pushing on little levers that meter vacuum. If those vacuum valves will not hold vacuum and if the levers are missing (very common) you will get wrong timing of vacuum to the trans. The nipples that are disconnected that I see should be capped off as well. Get 2 new valves at the local MB dealer, very cheap. They simply slide onto a narrow support shaft. That area needs to be clean and dry, NO OIL! oil destroys the valves. There should be a large black plastic cover over that whole assembly to ward off oil residue from the factory.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 PM

Thanks carnut: I will call Mercedes tomorrow for the parts and also cap the nipples. I'll post results. I will pick up a cover at pick U part locacally.

I appreciate the reply.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 PM

Be prepared to give them the chassis number and body type. Also if those little preformed hoses are loose on the valves, secure them with little nylon wrap ties. They are hard to get.