Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

About to buy 1981 300d

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Default About to buy 1981 300d

Hey, guys and gals, I am new here. I am new to the whole diesel thing, but I have been around the 300d since they have been out and have always loved them.
I found one that I wish to buy, the guy says he has just dropped 2k into it, "164,000 Original miles I recently put $2,000 into this car fixing the A/C, heater, Radiator, transmission, and alternator. It runs great and will last a lifetime. It has all leather interior, and the interior is in good condition. Gets over around 26MPG on highway and 20MPG in town. I bought the Biodiesel conversion kit (just hoses, no tank) and will include it with the sale of the vehicle. Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Sunroof, CD player, New Tires, Leather interior, Ice cold A/C, No accidents, Non-smoker, Runs & drives great, Very clean interior"

What questions should I be asking him and when I inspect it, what should I be looking for, noises, smooth idle, brake stuff, etc...really anything you can think of. I am not a car guy, but would love to make this car my daily family driver and make it my hobby taking care of it. I will bring my mechanic with me also, but any tips will be helpful.

I appreciate your time and consideration.
Have a good one!
Cheers!

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Default For sure...

I wont be using the bio diesel or veggie oil thing.

Yeah, $2000 in maintainence definitely doesn't mean an extra 2000 on price, it just means he has been keeping it up. That is on him. He wants 2800 for it.

Are there areas where i should look for any known typical issues that may cost me $$$ later down the road? Should I look at the odometer tamper screws to make sure the miles are what he says they are, is that possible? I will be using this for my daily driver with 2 kids, 4 & 7 yrs old.

I spoke with a friend today, who is a mechanic, he said that I am crazy, that an 81 anything will be a piece of crap, and that he doesn't know jack about diesel, but he said I was off my rocker if I buy the car.

He recommended that I buy a 01 hyundai elantra with 90k for $1600!!!
I wanted to backhand him!!!!

His biggest issues were that I know nothing, meaning me, about cars and that diesels are hard to learn and don't pass emissions.

I feel that I can learn how to maintain and work on the car if need be. I have spent at least 40 hours reading and researching these 300d w123's and everything I have found leads me to believe that they are really a special auto and they seem to run forever. I see them on the road and they still make parts for them!!! I cannot even buy parts for a 10 yr old computer! I know some older cars, even 10 years old, parts aren't even made for them. I think that they still make parts for the 81 300d is a testament to its durability, no?

Please help, tell me I am not crazy!!! My wife is really aprehensive, because I am not a car guy, she will tend to listen to the mechanic guy even if he has no idea about diesel.

Last edited by grimlog; 07-30-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:05 AM

how much is asking?
curious, as I am interested in one-looks same but with 250000kms
nice in and out runs great!
Bguy

Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 AM
Default asking

$2800

Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 AM
Default Awesome advice.....

Thanks a million. That helps a lot. I saw the dieselgiant.com website and maybe if I purchase a Bentley manual, you think the upkeep and maybe some minor repairs will be easy enough?

I have proximity to Autohaus Arizona, I can just run down there and get parts, everything seems reasonable enough.

I really love these cars, I had an 86 420 sel that ran like a tornado! I was rear-ended by a firebird while stopped at a light and his whole front end accordianed, while not even a scratch was on "kitten". That's what we named her. Had to sell her, what a shame.

So I am looking for that nostalgia and confidence that a MB brings. They are like driving a dream, a good dream anyway.

I like the idea of no computers, sparks, carbs, etc....Just fly by wire baby!!!

Thanks again for your help. Cheers!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
It won't run great or last long on vegetable oil! (vegetable oil (WVO, SVO) is not BioDiesel)
Ask if he has ever run it on vegetable oil without a conversion, and run away if he has.

In good condition, its worth about $2500
Fair, $1500
Poor, $500

Also, just because he put $2000 worth of work into it recently does not increase the value by $2000.

Good luck!
wow, that's all it's worth in good shape...conversion to cdn$ does change much anymore
I'm looking at one in Saskatchewan, Canada-asking $5500
this one looks great in and out...no rust...seems like new condition
I'll have to keep looking around at real value for this