Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

87D Mercedes OIL & FILTER CHANGE ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Default 87D Mercedes OIL & FILTER CHANGE ????

I bought at Walmart Motorcraft 15W-40 Diesel oil and Purolator filter, I would like to know if it's ok, or maybe a better sugestion???? Also the light on the dashbord (exterior light failure indicator lamp yellow)keeps comingback, all lights are in working conditions, check the oil pressure gauge and engine oil everything is ok so what other thing can be related???

PLEASE any sugestions will be WELCOME!!!!

P.S On the manuel it says to change oil, filter every 5000miles and at least once a year (fall) when using year around multigrade oil: otherwise twice a year (spring, fall)only under severe operating conditions or if diesel fuels with high sulphurs content (in excess of 0.5% by weight) are use, then oil, filter should be change every 2500miles!!!

Any sugestions????

Mercedes 87D 178,044 miles in pristine condition (Ca). THANKS

Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Default RE: 87D Mercedes OIL & FILTER CHANGE ????

If you change oil every 3000-3500 miles then it should be OK. I use the cheapest oil I can find and I do not see any problem.

The light means the exterier light is not balanced. One of the light bulb on either side is loose, I believe. When it happens, stop the car and take a look at the parking lights or low beam and see which one is out.

Good luck.

83 300D and two 87 300SDL, all in great conditions.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Please don't use the cheapest oil you can find! Of all the things you do to your car oil chage/filter service is already the cheapest, and among the most important. An excellent oil designed for diesel usesuch as Shell Rotella T 15W40 is perhaps the best choice, and at $11.00 U.S. a gallon only a few bucks more than inferior stuff. In non-turbo engines synthetic may be overkill, the merits can be debated with points on both sides. But please don't gamble on an engine rebuild to save $6.00 !
Ciao.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 PM

Thanks to all of you, as for the "oil" Walmart has Rotella T for the same price $9,95 for a gallon, I only choose the Motorcraft because it came in a 5 quart, but I will follow your sugestion and exchange it for Rotella T, my engine is not rebuilt and I am the original owner I did take good care of my 87.

Also I need to add a little bit of brakes oil "Dot 4", now is it ok if it's not the same brand? Again thanks very much

Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Brake fluid level in the reservoir will vary slightly based on how worn your brake pads are. For example, more wear on your brakes(less pad surface) will cause a slightly lower level in the reservoir. Do not fill brake fluid back up to the line between pad changes or you risk overflowing the reservoir when you put new brake pads in. The thick new pads will push fluid back up into the reservoir when you install them.

I always change the brake fluid when I change my brake pads - this is a good general rule to follow. Some recommend (and your service manual may also advise you) to change the brake fluid every two years regardless of brake pad wear. This is another solid suggestion.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM

i just aquired an 87 190d turbo with 133k on the odo.i am third owner and cannot verify milage though.while driving it around it seemed like the trans slipped a little while shifting through the gears.it didnt do that all the time ,i would say about 20 percent of the time.suggestions?
i was thinking of doing a trans flush or maybe looking for a vacuum leak.
any other suggestions for general maitence?.after driving it home on the highway about 100miles i didnt notice it sliping
what kind of trans fluid would you gurus recommend?
the owner says that only about 1500 of these came with the turbo?it that about right?
thanks

Old 07-12-2008, 08:56 AM

Diesels require a higher shear strengh oil due to the higher compression. Basicly if the oil is labeled it meets or excedes diesel spec's it will work fine. Mobile 1 is not. Synthitic is great for cold weather starts. Highly reccomend synthitics for transmission and rear end