Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

83 240D Injection Pump Not Pumping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 AM

OK. The Fuel comes into the Housing in the Front and flows through the Housing and at the back of the Housing it goe out of the Fuel Pressure Relief/Overflow Valve (it is know by either name).

The Fuel continues past the Valve upwards towards the Filter into that fitting with the 3 Connections. There is more Fuel Volume coming out of the Fuel Injection pump so if you have one of the Injector Retun Hoses off Fuel is going to come out of the Hose and it will appear like the Fuel is going backwards.

Back to the Fuel Pressure Relief/Overflow Valve. Take a look at the head of that Banjo Bolt. See if it has a plug in it that you can put a Wrench on or if there is a Ball Bearing pressed into the Center of the Banjo Bolt.

If you have the Valve that has the Plug that you can screw out. Remove the complete Valfe and the 2 Crush Washers. Unscrew the Plug and carefully dump out the Spring and the loose Ball Bearing that is inside.
The Ball Bearing is the Valve. Measure the length of the Spring.

If the Spring length is less than 27mm you can carefully stretch the Spring so that the free length of the Spring is 27mm and assemble the Valve with the Ball Bearing going in and follwed by the Spring and then the Plug.

That Valve is what regulates the Fuel Supply pressure inside of the Fuel Injection Pump. If the Spring inside of the Valve was too compressed at low speeds the Fuel Pressure inside of the Fuel Injection Pump Housing might be too low to feed into the Elements (the Elements are the High Pressure part of the Fuel Injection Pump).

Since I was speaking of the Elements I need some more info. Has this Car only been using Diesel Fuel? Did this Care sit for many months and the Engine never been running?

If you have been using something else besides Diesel or Biodiesel Fuel it is possile for the little Feed Hole in the Elemens to get plugged up or partially plugged up.

If there was any Water in the Diesel Fuel or if you were not using Diesel Fuel and the Engine sat for months unused it is possible for the inside of the Element to Rust. When that happens it is possible that when the Element Plunger goes up it stays stuck in the upwards position and does not come down. When that happens no more Fuel is going to come out.

I am not sure any of this is really helping. It is hard to trouble shoot by remote control.

Attached Thumbnails 83 240D Injection Pump Not Pumping?-showing-fuel-pressure-relief-overflow-valve.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 04:41 PM

Hi,
I removed the banjo bolt. Inside were only a spring and a ball bearing. There were no crush washers. I stretched the ball bearing to 27 mm. Tried hand pumping it again and got some diesel coming out of the 4th cylinder fuel rail, but not the others.

The car has never been run on anything but diesel. No conversion. The previous owner said it had sat up for a few months and when he went to start it, it would not crank. Since the starter was in such bad shape, i figured that may have been the problem. There was also low voltage to the battery pos cable going to the starter, so i replaced it. It turns, but will not run.

I have not checked the elements for gunk. i will do that next. I believe that requires a special tool. I will look on the forums for that procedure. Any advice there?

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your advice.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:52 PM

HEY! I found your thread with a diagram from 9/10/2009!!! It details how to check if the plungers are stuck! Great advice. I will do that procedure!!!

Old 06-10-2021, 07:23 PM

I have the same problem. After I replaced an old engine for one I got at the junk yard. The new junkyard engine did not have a lift pump so I took the one off my engine that blew up. It is the MW type as mentioned above and it pumped fuel as I tested it. I also have the old injection pump but was told that they rarely ever go out. I don't really want to replace it if I don't have to.

I have bleed all the lines and also took the engine to a top of a hill and tried to start by pushing out any air locks. The tranny did not sound that good as I roared down the hill trying each of 1,2,3 and 4th gears( manual). My friend told me that it looked like some exhaust came out of the tail pipe however I have no evidence that any fuel is coming out of the injection pump to the injectors. I have removed all the metal hoses to the injectors and nothing comes out of any of the 4 ports from the top of the injection pump.

I spent so much time on this I would really not want to surrender and bring it to a mechanic or replace my new junk injection pump with my old one which I know is good because the engine only blew the chain. I was told that injection pumps rarely go totally bad..