Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

300SD - Occasional starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Default 300SD - Occasional starting issues

I have an '85 300 SD Turbo that's recently started having starting issues. If I shut off the engine and run into a store and attempt to restart the car, say, within 5 to 15 minutes, the glow light comes on, the engine turns over, but it will not start. Sometimes it will start on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th crank. Soemtimes I've just waited 10 or so minutes and restarted. If it's parked over a few hours or over night, it starts just fine.

Also, around the same time this started happening, the engine started shutting down as much as 5 or so seconds after I've shut the engine off and pulled out the key. I don't know if the two issues are related.

Anyone have any ideas on what's happening?

Thanks!!

Old 06-14-2005, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 300SD - Occasional starting issues

i think something is wrong with the engine.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:28 AM

One possibility for your first issue is a fuel leak, allowing air into the system. Another possibility is plugged fuel filters. A third possibilility is a partially stuck "Emergency Stop" lever.

Your second issue, the one where the engine delays in shutting down is most likely related to a vacuum leak. I am not sure how however if this relates to your first issue.

Phil

Old 06-16-2005, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: aedixon

I have an '85 300 SD Turbo that's recently started having starting issues. If I shut off the engine and run into a store and attempt to restart the car, say, within 5 to 15 minutes, the glow light comes on, the engine turns over, but it will not start. Sometimes it will start on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th crank. Soemtimes I've just waited 10 or so minutes and restarted. If it's parked over a few hours or over night, it starts just fine.

Also, around the same time this started happening, the engine started shutting down as much as 5 or so seconds after I've shut the engine off and pulled out the key. I don't know if the two issues are related.

Anyone have any ideas on what's happening?

Thanks!!
you mean you motor dont turn over ...? 2nd prob is vac related ..could be shut off vavle leaking on another consumer on the same vac soruce is leaking ,,,do you have axcess to a hand held vac pump with gauge ..if so check shut off valve ..behind injesction pump round thing with vac line sticking up ...alao you might want to check the vac soure the the bosster line they got 2 small fittings plasitc ,,i seen them get plugged up before ...get a small drill bit and ream the hole out a little bit ...let me knoe on the 1st ..problem