Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

300D Wants to Start but just cant quite do it

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Default RE: 300D Wants to Start but just cant quite do it

So Im still waiting to do a compression test, but upon doing more reading I have found out I may have washed the cylinder walls with all that unburnt diesel I squirted in there, killing the compression. So I figure I can use the oil in the glow plug hole trick to get the compression back, this will also tell me wether or not its the rings, valves, or nothing is wrong with the motor internally. If it has low compresion the rings are bad or the cylinders are warped (A possibility on an over heated engine). Plus Im fairly positive it isnt the head gasket because there is no oil in the water and vise versa.

Anymore input on this delima would be very appreciated
thanks
James

Old 04-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Fuel pump maybe. I don't know much, I have still a lot to learn about diesels but if you primed it and it is still not cranking it could be the fuel pump. When I first bought my 85 it would not start and I looked near the bottom of the engine area and seen a plugner so I primed it and it fiered up ran perfectly.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:40 PM

People keep telling me about this primer plunger, but I dont see one when looking at my engine. Where the heck is it?!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Am I missing something? Did this car run before you changed the fuel filter? On my 97 300d, I changed fuel filter and some lines. IN doing this air gets into the system. With air in the system, they don't start, shake like hell, and pump black smoke out the pipe. I had mine hook up to a power charger so I didn't cook my battrie. The other thing, only crank for 20 sec, at a go, and give it some time in between so you dont cook your starter. On my year, the 6 lines are clear and you can see air in the lines. This whole process of shaking and sputtering took some time to clear up.
Good luck
Bill

Old 04-19-2008, 03:54 PM

Well after some investigation I dont have a primer plunger, It looks like its strait up missing! Right next to the first fuel filter there is just this plastic **** with a deep hole in it that looks like something should be there. I assume this is a big problem, how do I go about fixing it? I'll take a pic if this is not discriptive enough.

Thanks
James

Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 PM

That **** would be for the plunger.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:04 AM

You have checked power to all glow plugs and each glow plug has resistance [good] How cold is it their. You may have bad fuel. If so you can use a jug of good fuel pull both the in and return fuel line and put into the jug. May need to plug the tank line. Make sure all fuel leaks are fixed. loose fuel filter should of bleedout your system. Yes WD-40 is a good starting aid. Try holding the pedal to the floor until you get almost full rpm if it starts and keep it reved up to warm the engine. Don't worry the govenor will stop it from over reving