Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1997 e300 check engine light on.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Default 1997 e300 check engine light on.

Hi all,

Before I take it to get it serviced, what should I check or if there's something that an average DIYers can do about this?

Thyanks,
Chaisone

Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by chaisone
Hi all,

Before I take it to get it serviced, what should I check or if there's something that an average DIYers can do about this?

Thyanks,
Chaisone
If your check engine light is on, you need a code reader to help you pinpoint the area thats setting the code. If you don't have a code reader, Autozone or some of the other parts suppliers will read the code for free. If you can get the error code or codes, you can post them here, and I am sure you will get some feedback as to what course of action to take. Good luck

Old 10-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by pimpernell
If your check engine light is on, you need a code reader to help you pinpoint the area thats setting the code. If you don't have a code reader, Autozone or some of the other parts suppliers will read the code for free. If you can get the error code or codes, you can post them here, and I am sure you will get some feedback as to what course of action to take. Good luck
Thank you very much for your help pimpernell. I'll get the code read and post here per your advice.

Much appreciated.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Default Got the code.

Hi pimpernell,

I got the code (read by Advanced Autoparts). The fault code is P0181. "Fuel temperature sensor A CKT Range/Perf".

Does this mean that I need to replace this sensor or can it be tweaked? Any idea how much it cost? Any place I get it cheap and in reasonable time frame? What happens if I leave this as is? What's the benefits of getting it fixed besides not having to see the code?

Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:32 PM

I did a search for your code P0181, and could not find an exact match. The link below concerns Code P0180, and gives you some information on the location of the sensor, and the price to replace it. One of the posters advised removing the electrical plug to the sensor, cleaning it with "electric contact cleaner" and re-connect it. Some of these codes will automatically reset after a certain number of restarts if the condition has been corrected. I am not sure if this is one of them. If it is not self correcting, the code must be cleared with a code reader capable of clearing it. Good luck, and hope this helps

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 11-23-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 AM

Pimpernell,

Thank you vey much for your help. I'll look into this and see if I can get it fixed this weekend. I'll let you know.

Thanks again.