Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1985 300SD White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Wow. Ok.

Thanks ForcedInduction!

Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM

I went back and check I had this in the Instructions; "The Engine needs to be rotated Clockwise as viewed from the Crankshaft Damper end of the Engine; the normal direction of rotation.
Rotate the Engine to 24 Degrees before top dead Center (OT is Top Dead Center on the Crank Damper)."

But, I can see that it might not have been entirely clear.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 PM

I was lucky.
When I worked for a Fuel Injection Shop back in the 1970s My Boss taught Me what to do. But, not before He let Me suffer a little trying to do it Myself.
We also had a decent gravity feed setup that keep the Fuel Pressure nice and even.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the Replies!!!

You have been very insightful.

Unfortunately, because of work, I'm limited to working on my diesel on the weekends only. So come this Saturday, I will attempt again the drip test, however confirming that I have the crankshaft at the right location.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM

So after many different failed attempts to perform this injection pump adjustment in the span of several months (being that I'm limited to working on this car on certain weekends only due to a busy schedule), I decided to remove the injection pump and have it checked. The technician that checked it stated that the pump was in good shape and it did not require any modification (although I was very skeptical). He even demonstrated to me that the IP was working well in his test bench. So I re-installed it into my car and once again tried to do the drip test. This time however, I noticed that the rate of diesel coming out of the drip tube would change as I moved the pump towards and away from the engine. This was great to see as it seemed as if I was going to be able to achieve the "One Drop per Second" set point. So I played around with the position of the IP (while the engine was at 24 degrees BTDC) until I achieved the "One Drop per Second". I found that there's a very small window where I achieve this flow rate. Unfortunately, every time I obtained this flow rate and I would tighten down the nuts that hold the IP and I would pump the hand-pump again to verify that the flow of diesel coming out of the drip tube was the "One Drop per Second", no diesel would come out anymore. This led to me loosening the nuts again and re-adjusting the position of the IP, but the same thing would happen: as soon as I would tighten the nuts and check again, no diesel would come out. After doing this several times and becoming frustrated, I just tightened down the IP and left it without re-adjusting. I did find that by pumping the hand pump many times, occasionally diesel would flow out of the drip tube and it would flow out at "One Drop per Second".

Is this normal?

I'm under the impression that once the IP is positioned to achieve this Start of Delivery, it should always be flowing out the one drop of diesel per second every time the hand pump is pumped. I'm pretty sure that when I tighten the nuts, the pump did not move at all. Also, not sure if it's worth mentioning that the mark on the edge of the mounting flange on the IP does not line up with the mark on the engine block. In fact, it is off by a substantial amount. However, if I tried to align the mark, flow of diesel coming out of the drip tube would be a stream rather than droplets.

Any feedback would greatly appreciated.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM

Thank You Forced Induction! I will check the fuel level in the tank. I'm not sure, but it might be less than half a tank. As for the throttle, I have it secured in the fully opened position with a piece of wire. The shutoff vacuum actuator hose is also removed.