Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

New Guy with a 1983 300sd in SO Cal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:02 AM
Default New Guy with a 1983 300sd in SO Cal.

Hi everyone (or anyone) i started my diesel fascination about 10 years ago with the purchase of a 2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 4x4. When i could no longer stand the lack of steering control i replaced the 01 with an 07 Dodge 6.7 diesel. Now years later i have an 09 VW Jetta tdi and i just purchased my first Mercedes last week.

I hope im not boring people with the back story... but now that i have a new project im really excited about it. My plan is to try and keep it as a daily driver after i work out the kinks. So far i have replaced the oil, air filter, 2 fuel filters under the hood and im waiting for the new in tank filter to show up.
The car is a 1983(good year for me, the year i was born) 300sd, the odometer stopped working at 194k miles.

Things that need attention:
Tachometer works intermittently
Radiator hoses are really brittle(on order along with a new thermostat and short hose)
Valves need adjustment (see valve cover leak)
Valve cover leaks badly(i have new gaskets but im afraid of messing something up taking all of that linkage apart)
Sluggish unless giving a lot of throttle
Fuel leak out of the primer(new one on order)

So thats it i guess, if you feel like saying hi i would be thrilled and if you think of something i might be forgetting or neglecting please chime in.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:35 AM

Sounds like you got it. A suggestion for the linkage, take a picture of it before you start. Remember, it all comes apart and goes back together one bolt at a time.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Smile

I forgot about the rear diff, one more to the list. The trans fluid is brand new and im not sure if i should bother trying to adjust it because it is a little firm from 1 to 2 but after a it warms up it is smooth.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 PM

Concerning the Differential. Besure you can remove the Oil Fill Plug before you drain the Differential. The Fill Plug is noted for being tough to remove.

You Engine does not have Hydraulic Valve Lifters and the Valves need to be Adjusted. Prior owners that did not do the Adjustment themselves seldom pay to have them Adjusted.

Check these Rubber Items:
Oil Cooler Hoses
Motor Mounts
Transmission Mounts
The Drive Shaft Support Mount
The Flex Discs on the Drive Shaft for cracks. Broken Flex Discs have been known to cause some sever damage when they come loose. If you replace them replace them only with quality ones; no Made in China ones.
Boots on the rear CV Axles (the original CV Axles are filled with Oil which will leak out if the Boots crack enough)

Go to Mercedes Startek and see if you can access the online Manual for your Car. It is free but you may need to subscribe. There is also a Parts Manual.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:40 PM

thanks... the list continues growing, it is in my driveway torn apart now because im replacing the 3 main radiator hoses. I keep thinking i should do the valves myself but i dont know the process of removing the throttle linkage so im a bit unsure.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:19 AM

A good shop manual will tell you step by step how to do that. You could also take it to a good mechanic who will allow you to watch the process. Might be cheaper to buy a good manual. Or just wing it, take things apart carefully and watch how you do it, make the necessary adjustments, and put it back together while it's still fresh in your mind. If bushings break put it back together anyway just so you don't forget how it goes while you look for and/or wait for parts.