Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1979 Mercedes Engine Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
sfk
Default 1979 Mercedes Engine Troubles

1979 Mercedes. After replacing the servo two times because antifreeze kept leaking out at the seam, I think I figured out that since the radiator line feels like it is under a LOT of pressure then Somewhere, I must have a blown headgasket and the cyclinder head must be leaking into the radiator.
However, I do NOT have any water in the crank case.

Has anyone seen this? Is this possible on an diesel engine with only 250K miles on it?

How big of a job is it to replace the headgasket?
Could it be something else causing excess pressure in the radior lines?

ANY HELP /Comments is much appreciated.

I can be reached directly at skolvek@aol.com

Thanks!

Scott

Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Default RE: 1979 Mercedes Engine Troubles

Is it running hot?

excess pressure should go the way of the radiator cap

The earlier models used to get horrible air pockets upon refilling the cooling system, you actually had to pressure bleed the system before it would cool right. the 123 didn't seem to have that problem as I recall

If you have a head gasket issue, I would think it would run hot
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 AM
sfk

No. The engine is not running hot. Still at the 80 degree mark.
The engine is smoking a lot (mostly a blueish smoke).

History:
Bought used Mercedes. Smoked a lot. Car stalls out.
I adjust the valves and the car still smokes a lot. I verified that they were adjusted correctly. Car starts right up no problem but Still smokes.
Then I do the Fuel INjector Flush (from DieselGiant). WHILE doing the flush (for the 10 mins), there is NO smoke. But still smokes now.
Car starts right up. I replace the engine shocks because the engine was vibrating a lot.
Replace a second servo (which came out of another Mercedes 300SD which I knew was good) and then I realize there is a lot of pressure on the right side hose especially. When I unscrewed the cap to the radiator bottle some pressure blew off.

What is weird is that if a cylinder was blowing air into the radiator, why am i NOT getting radiator fluid into my engine (unless the hole is so small, only the very high pressure of the cylinder lets air one way but not liquid the other).

I am still pretty baffled. My only other possible guess is maybe a stuck thermo stat but my car is NOT running hot.

Does Anyone have anythoughts?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 PM

The cooling system is normally under pressure. If you are not loosing coolant, or running hot, it's probably okay. Can you run it with the cap off, and see if the hose is still tight? Perhaps a plugged up radiator? I would think that after the thermostat opens the pressure should be relieved.

The smoke might be from dirty injectors. If it clears up after a bit of driving, don't worry about it.