Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

leather stain removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Default leather stain removal?

I just noticed an unknown stain on the passenger seat of my car. I have black leather and the stain is darker than the leather itself. It looks like someone spilled something. When I had my car detailed recently they said I would have to have it re-dyed? When I called a car upholstery place they mention replacing the panel with new leather becuase they said the dye would eventually peal off. The seats have been conditioned since the stain was set. I don't know if that matters. Every leather cleaner I read scares me because it talks about the dangers of removing the color. Any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Default RE: leather stain removal?

Buy some good leather cleaner Lexol, groits, mcguires and then a good conditioner, that should work. Good old Dawn works also, don't use any chemical like alcohol or goo be gone, as the leather might be gone also. If you can find it 303 cleaner condition, this works very welll. try a swinning pool supply house, that is were I got mine. Also if it is crusty use the cleaner and a wood tongue depressor and carefully scrape away, Most medical supply house carry them or Mcguires makes an assortment of dual purpose brushes one has a rubber tip that works also, they come in set of three and most auto parts story have them.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 PM

Thanks wizard. I will update you with my success.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:13 AM

Your welcome, there is another product call Barkeepers Friend, I both a can at Bed Bath and beyond. But only use this as a last resort. It is a slightly abrasive power, I tried in on a stubborn stain my son's friend had on his RX 7's dash. I is a powder, and works best on light colored leather or cloth, I made a paste,with water, and took a microfiber cloth and gently rub it around and into the stain, it did come out, left no mark and used so 303 to protect, he called me today and said thanks it llooks great. But as I said the other methods should work and this stuff isw a last resort and has to be done gently and carefully. It works well on wheel wells, where the tar build up, again gently is the key word.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:03 AM

I would try Mr. Cleans magic eraser. I have a 2001 clk 430 with the light grey interior and it always shows dirst after awhile. I tried every kinda leather cleaner out there and it would not touch it. So I decided to try the magic eraser lightly one day and it worked like a charm. Just use it very lightly and don't srub with it and it will get into the tiny cracks in the leather and remove it. :-)