Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

help changing the spin on fuel filter - priming? how to prevent air...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Default help changing the spin on fuel filter - priming? how to prevent air...?

OK tomorrow im gonna do a diesel purge with lubro moly. During the purge I will use a new inline fuel filter, and use that as my new inline fuel filter.

AFTER the purge, I then also change the spin on fuel filter?

Can someone give me EXACT step by step instructions (or even better, pictures) on how to do this. How do I avoid air getting into the system. How do I "prime" the filter (someone told me priming can contaminate the filter). If I can't get m hands on diesel fuel, I heard ATF fluid is very good?

So how exaclty do I change the filter , priming it to avoid air problems. Oh also I dont think my car has that pump to get the air out of the system in case it does get in (350sdl),,

thanks, Tyler

Old 06-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Default RE: help changing the spin on fuel filter - priming? how to prevent air...?

I can respect your do it yourself desire. Those purges are great for diesels. Check out dieselgiant.com he gives step by step instructions on the purge process. The spin off filter is easy to change just hold the bolt on top with a wrench whileturning. As long as you keep the supply fuel line submerged in the purge while in the bottle no air should get into the line.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Default RE: help changing the spin on fuel filter - priming? how to prevent air...?

When I converted my 300d to run on waste veggie oil, I installed an electric inline fuel pump. I just switch it on to primp the fuel lines. No need for manual pumping of the primer bulb.

You should change your spin on fuel filter as part of regular maintenance.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:08 AM

I'm new to this forum. So if you've been asked this question before forgive me...
I just bought a 1996 E300 D for the sole purpose of running it on WVO. So far I've been exposed to two different companys that sell kits. Greasecar.com (2tanks) and Lovecraft (single tank). I'm very interested in knowing what kind of system you're running in your Merc. And if you had to do it all over again which type of system would you use??
Thank you..