Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

87 300SDL Sleepy turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Talking Update-seems fixed

Little long but here we go...
I checked out the ALDS thing like in that video link. Was a good idea but didn't really do anything as it wasn't too skanky. Still convinced it had something to do with the ALDS, I changed the valve that controls the vacuum to the ALDS (had no idea how to check that input signal when it was running) and that didn't help.
It was at about this time I knew that my alternator was about dead-no one told me that your ABS light was one of the leading indicators and it had been flickering for over a year. Thankfully had the alternator in hand when all (I and do mean pretty much all) of the idiots lights came on. I had at idle 11.7V at the battery. Changed out the alternator and made all the lights happy and over the next few days the turbo started kicking in sooner and sooner until it was at a level that as soon as the engine is anywhere near up to temp (be it good or bad, I pretty much start and go in the morning), it now works and has been working well ever since.
So it is my theory and belief that whatever signal that kicks in the ALDS has to deal with some voltage differential and if the voltage is really low to begin with, it won't kick in. That's my theory and I am sticking to it.
On a separate note-it was 30 year ago yesterday that it was delivered to it original owner. We celebrated by cruising down the expressway at 90 for a good spell. Its a happy car.