Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   87 300SDL Sleepy turbo (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/87-300sdl-sleepy-turbo-56890/)

richg 09-05-2016 10:26 AM

87 300SDL Sleepy turbo

When first getting going in the morning, the turbo does not seem to want to get going. After about 5 miles and then hitting it a little hard it will kick in and then be good. 277K miles-I have had for the last 50K and have never really changed anything associated with the turbo that I know of. Am I missing something?

richg 09-08-2016 12:19 PM

I remember the guy that sold it to me who seemed very knowledgeable in the way of Merc that he had "fixed" the PCV so that I would never have to deal with it and that just is sitting in the back of my tiny brain that maybe I do need to deal with it.

richg 09-08-2016 01:37 PM

Will do...
It's still there but I do know the vacuum line is off and plugged.

richg 09-08-2016 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going to try to post pic...first time. Seems to work.

richg 09-08-2016 06:17 PM

Note the blocked off vacuum hose is just to the right of it with the tie wrap.

richg 09-08-2016 06:25 PM

Excuse me--I have been meaning EGR valve all this time.

richg 10-12-2016 07:44 AM

I am pretty sure the turbo is "working" as you can hear it spooling if you listen close. I am pretty sure it is some vacuum or valve thing. Any good first places to check?

daemdaem 10-12-2016 09:07 AM

Hello, If it was me, I would pop that EGR valve off and find out what he fixed. If it is in fact stuck, failed partially open you need to deal with it. They do fail and you should have no obvious symptoms if closed and holding correctly. This might help you before you start. This is from a Mercedes truck manual regarding diesels in their truck line.
Making sure that the valve is in optimal condition is essential to the truck’s function
As a truck owner, it’s important that you keep the EGR valve in good condition. Since it has a direct impact on how the engine works, any problem with the EGR will manifest either as increased fuel consumption or reduced performance. Learning when to have it maintained or replaced is therefore important. Some of the signs that could point to a faulty EGR include:
• An EGR valve that is stuck open: if your truck has a mechanical EGR valve and it happens to be stuck open, it will act as a conduit which causes a vacuum leak in the engine. Some of the manifestations of this include rough idling and even a feeling of hesitation when you try to accelerate. When the problem is severe, you will also notice the truck stalling frequently. When the EGR valve is stuck open, it means that all the exhaust will be rerouted to the combustion chamber, which means that there will be little oxygen which is what is needed for the combustion.
• A valve that is stuck closed: on the opposite end of the spectrum, you can also have a valve that is shut and won’t open. In such cases, there will be an increase in the quantity of nitrous oxide gas in the cylinders, and this will manifest as the engine knocking.
These are the two common problems that afflict the mechanical EGR valves, and thankfully they are easy to fix. All you need to do is identify a competent garage, and have them fix it for you. If you are handy with your tools, you can even maintain and replace the EGR valve with ease. Of course, to do the latter, you will need to buy high quality spare parts from the right sources. Hope that article helps Allan