For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

near completely restored 1980 300CD FS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:54 AM
Default near completely restored 1980 300CD FS!

Well it is with both great sadness and joy that I have finally come to grips with selling my 1980 300CD. I will tell you a little of the story about the car. If you are interested in pictures or taking it for a test drive, send me an e-mail at rob@theimageshoppe.com

In 2003 I became a biofuel freak... First car I purchased was a 1992 300D... loved it, but had a great offer about 6 months after I bought it and let her go. Then purchased a 97 Passat TDI wagon for the wife... and was on the hunt again... but really wanted a coupe... it came down to the 300CD.

I spent 6 months looking for it... scoured the midwest, ebay, Tribune, etc. I finally found it on this club, and then saw it listed on Ebay.. I thought I had missed it the first time, but got lucky. It was owned by a dentist in GA who had traveled with the military. The car was originally owned by another military friend of his, and he aquired sometime in 96 or 97 if my memory serves me right. He picked it up for a steal as his buddy hit a deer and the right front quarter was smashed up. The car was originally white. NOW you can say what you want about damage or this or that... it currently has a clean bill of health in the state of Michigan. I have over 20k worth of reciepts.. most of them from the good doctor. Let me start with the important things... it spent a considerable part of its life in New Mexico... it has been to the Northwest, Germany, and Georgia, with its most recent pitstop here in Michigan.

It has been in the garage since Dec. and only out 2x's in emergencies this winter.. NO SALT. Okay back to the good parts.

The car has 243,000 miles (less then 10k per year, and I suspect most in the later portion of its life) the engine is one of the only original parts that remains... and it runs like a top. I am going to list the major work that has been done here.

It had a new paint job with a ticket of around 7k from a shop in Florida. (say the paint was 99) (SILVER)
It has a new (not rebuilt) transmission that was installed by MERCEDES tech's in Germany. (that being folks from Mercedes)
It has an unheard of European Interior that was snagged while in Germany... its MB TEX Blue.
It has partially replaced wood grain... still needs a few pieces replaced, but the ones left that aren't replaced aren't broken.
It has a Blaup. 10cd changer and controller
It has new (2005) glow plugs
It has a new ignition (2005 900 bucks)
It has newer tires
It has a new trunk lid (99 when the paint job was done)
It has european lights (not the round us lights)
It has a new strike plate on the passenger side door
It has a working AC/Heater
Vacuum Pump replaced (2005)
New fuel lines
newer breaks
new turn signal stalk (2005)

Again the car has about 20k into it since 1998 between body and drive/tran etc. I have documents about 5 inches thick.

What it needs

It needs new rubber on both side for windows.
The rear passenger side window needs a new regulator... BUT motor is fine. I have the switch disconnected and the window UP (locked)
It has pitting on the rear chrome bumper
the sunroof doesn't work, but the motor runs AND I have the cable to fix it
The antenna needs to be fixed.
misc. small oil leaks that are typical of a diesel of this age, gasket seal was replaced last year as precautionary but they found nothing major.
The heat only works in the defrost position... ac works fine

That is what I know about. I have had it inspected etc by my mechanics and a bosch shop on several occasions to keep it up to date.

The reason I am selling is my company just bought a building (my company meaning I own) about 4 blocks from our house... between the mort. and the walk, I just don't need a 2nd car anymore. I really love this car and am VERY sad to let it go... but I need to pay off the loan on it, and recover some of the cash I have invested myself.

The car also comes with a box of goodies from the good doctor... including but not limited too

A new front grill (the old ones fine but you never know I guess)
A new hood ornament (again...)
many chemicals and fluids to maintain the starter
misc. switches for the interior incase one goes out
books.

I have used Bio-D in this bad boy since it got here... fuel filter has been changed... the fuel lines were replaced years ago.. I use B5 or B20 in it... depending on the month... its only driven about 3k miles so you can do what you like.

I'm in Michigan (Grand Rapids) and am willing to deliver the car to the right buyer. We can work out the details. It will drive anywhere.

e-mail me at rob@theimageshoppe.com. I will send pictures upon request. If you want to negotiate on the remaining trim work, I have a competent body shop that has agreed to do the sealing work for me and replace the rubber on the doors for a price.

asking $8,000 OBO. I would guess it to be worth 10-12k if the finish touches were done... its honestly one of the best ones out there that I would consider day to day quality (meaning you can drive it whenever you want... its not going to not run for you) If your in the area, let me know and you can take a look at it. I'm open to offers for sure and would like to have it out of here by spring.

Thanks!

Rob

needs some sealant on one of the rear light lens (not cracked per say but leaking a bit at the rubber rim body shop has quoted)

Old 02-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Default RE: near completely restored 1980 300CD FS!

your going to have to lower that price down to about $2000 to sell it

Old 02-19-2006, 03:26 AM

I'll keep my appreciation for your comment to myself.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

I hate to tell u but although $2000 could be a little low dont expect more than $3000 cause when buying an older diesel MB people are just looking for a very reliable car that gets good fuel mileage normally not that worried about cosmetics. You might want to get rid of ur other car and just drive that one.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

That price is nuts! [&:] I agree, even 2 grand may be high... good luck though!!

-Matt-

Old 02-19-2006, 05:35 PM

Well I suggest that this might not be the place to sell it.. I have had offers at 7000 when I brought her back last year... I suspect its a person thing... and this is a bit more then just your avg. beat up 80 something car that runs... A classic dealer in Florida offered 6500 for it in 04... A DEALER.

Thanks again though, I'll post the selling price when she goes for fun. Its fair irrelevent about how many people there are looking for cars to sink 5-7 grand into to make run right (like a majority of old MB diesels) This one is pretty much done.

Again, maybe your right, but I have a suspicion that I'll get better then 3k. :-)

Old 02-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Hey guys we stand corrected if its anything like the ones that are on ebay right now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

It looks to be in a very fine condition. Who would pay 4 grand though with a car that's got 227127 miles on it though?

Side note: The term "it" is meant as the car itself, not the engine.

what I wrote...
Simply too much to read

-Matt-

Old 02-19-2006, 08:10 PM

You don't know much about this engine... OR what I wrote... the transmission was replaced on mine W/New AT MERCEDES IN GERMANY in 99/2000. The engines if taken care of are some of the most reliable ever built. This engine starts on the FIRST turn. People pay ALOT of money for special cars.. this car was the ONLY diesel coupe mercedes made that I know of.

PEOPLE DO PAY for them, high milage is not an indication of much IF the car has been restored or maintained properly.

At anyrate, this isn't for everyone, HOWEVER this car will be worth more then a C280 in less then a year by its depreciation standard.... this car wasn't produced by the JUNK dealers at Daimler Chrysler who in my opinion have basically ruined the best car manufacturing operation in the world. NOW that is something I wouldn't spend my money on... :-)

This car also has NEW fuel lines and gaskets and is more then ready (already running) Biodiesel.

I just wish that people would take a closer look before they start comparing someone's pride and joy to the value of crack.. really really not appropriate.

I also would say this is NOT like the all of the ones I have seen on Ebay... this could be a daily driver... not something that has been sitting in storage and dry rotting for 10 years. NOW if one of those cars was properly stored, and had new hoses belts, power steering pump, vacuum pump ETC ETC.. then they would probably be worth 15-20k if someone was willing to wait for the right buyer. I actually looked at one last year that sold for 14000... it was PERFECT, I MEAN PERFECT. EBAY as far as I'm concerned is the hyper market... its not necessarily for the particular buyer, although it may be the option I have to sell it. There are some real nice cars over there (bought several through them) but it takes alot of time and money to find cars like mine.

Anyhow, I was hoping to find buyers or interested parties, not hecklers. Can we please just get back to people e-mailing me if they want photos or more info?

Old 02-19-2006, 08:19 PM

Actually the one on Ebay is similar to it condition to mine... difference being my doors are the same color... ALSO I am the actual owner driver of the car and great relationship with the prior owner... I have records for the past 10 years... basically everything. This car looks good though. I will be interested to see what it sells for.

Thanks for posting it!

Quick Reply: near completely restored 1980 300CD FS!