For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

FS: 1980 SL450 Convertible - 130K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Default FS: 1980 SL450 Convertible - 130K Miles

Pix: http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/y...vern/Mercedes/

Car belonged to wife's father - he bought it **new** in 1980 from a dealer in Dallas (salesman's card still in owner's manual - ha!), and lived in Houston with the car until he passed three years ago. He was NOT handy with his cars; he paid to have this one serviced by the MB dealer in Houston. I paid to have the car hauled to upstate NY (Syracuse) where I've used it as a daily driver in the summer for the past three summers. It spends the winters slumbering away in a garage (Oct - May). Arrival of baby / day-care pickup & drop off duties / car-seat last fall pretty-much put an end to my daily driving of the car (none of these things work with a 2-seat convertible), and now it sits. Car is in very good mechanical shape outside of a power-steering leak (appears to be in the vicinity of the pump, but haven't researched it any further) - I've been filling it at the start of each season, and topping it off at the end prior to storage. It largely leaks out during storage each winter, so I top it again at the start of the next year. Tires have good tread and roll smoothly, and there are NO clunks / bangs / whistles / etc. The car does hard-start if it sits for more than an hour if hot. It always starts but takes a bit of cranking if it's been parked hot for more than an hour. Fires right up when cold. The A/C does not blow cold, but the original Becker radio still works and does it's manual scan of available stations admirably(!). The exterior could stand a paint job, as it's pretty sun-baked by the Texas sun, though there's no pressing urgency to do so (it's not flaking or anything). It does have rust-through on the trunk lid and a bit around where the hard-top connects to the body (He parked in his driveway, so I suspect it rusted where rainwater naturally collected). The soft-top is in good shape (wrinkled from extended storage, but intact), and the interior is in good shape. Seat back covers have been replaced on both sides, and the seat bottom cover was replaced on the driver's side. The car is on the road, so if local you can drive it and check it out for yourself. I'm entertaining reasonable offers, so if you are interested, give me a shout and we'll discuss. I can take different pictures as well if you'd like. Thank you.