For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Beware of Scammers!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Default Beware of Scammers!!

Someone just tried to scam me. They found the ad for my 1990 300D on this forum and emailed me an offer for my car, which I told him I would consider but not accept since it was below my asking price. He then emailed me all these weird instructions about his "client" sending me a check and stuff and I was like, woah, man, I haven't sold you anything yet. Suspicious, I looked him up on the Web and sure enough, it's a scam (related to the Nigerian scams out there). The name is "Chember Lozel"... Read all about it and be forewarned!

http://bit.ly/7NaNWx

kopper

Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 AM

His messages leading up to the one about sending the check (which I'll copy for you all below so you can see what I mean) didn't make any sense. His English was so poor that I couldn't really figure out what he was talking about, aside from the part where he was offering me $5,700 for my car. I told him I would consider his offer but would hold out for a couple more weeks to see if I got anything better (you know, a "best offer" in this case), and he took that as me accepting his offer. It was at that point that I emailed him back and told him that I would NOT sell him the car and to not contact me again. Here was his email that tipped me off:

Hello jeff, we have concluded, making the payment
Thanks for your email and update on the bottom price($5,700),it was accepted by my clientand he has directed us to issue payment to you. I would need your assurance that the property whose payment we would start processing,is in a good condition as the only view our client had of the vehicle was on the internet and this purchase is hinged on his personal judgement of what the property's state and output would be like,in comparison to models of its category. However,he made out a certified cashiers check of($10,700) before he travelled for a conference,for a previous vehicle and its shipment charges etc,but it wasunfortunately sold. The amount on the check he deposited for the vehicle is bigger than what should be paid to you now, so the check is now meant for the total expenses which includes the purchase of your vehicle ,its pick up from its present location and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping arrangements.However he has instructed us to bikery on with this transaction. So when payment gets to you, you're required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ($5,700) and send the balance of($5,000) to my client shipping agent to enable him offsett shipping charges/arrangements. Once the transaction is concluded, My client shipping agent will be coming for the pick up of the vehicle from its present location, on an access to a prepaid shipper for shipment,and also conclude other necessary shipping arrangements. So you dont have to bother yourself about the pick up and shipping rrangements, while title papers and other necessary documets will be sent by you via fedex courier . Please Confirm this and provide (1) NAME (2) CONTACT ADDRESS AND CONTACT PHONE NUMBER(s) for check payment to be delivered to you via regular mail immediately , please remove the add of the vehicle from the internet to avoid complications from other buyers my location

800 N. Capitol Street, N.W., Room 800
Washington, 20211
Phone Number: 206-202-2223