For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1990 300SL - 5-Speed Manual Transmission - 120k, clean title, Los Angeles

Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Default 1990 300SL - 5-Speed Manual Transmission - 120k, clean title, Los Angeles

Hi everyone! I'm helping sell this for a friend. It's located in the Los Angeles area and I'd be happy to take more photos of specific areas or answer any questions as best I can.

For sale is a fairly rare 1990 300 SL roadster (R129 model) with 5-speed manual transmission and 24-valve 3.0L 228 hp inline 6 cylinder engine (M104 series). The odometer currently shows ~120k miles.

Asking $2,000, will consider reasonable offers.

This would also be an excellent 5-speed swap donor for a W124 or maybe W210, or...?

The price is low because there are numerous small issues with the car (and maybe some mechanical problems), and it needs someone who knows these cars and can give it a good going over, and has had some mechanical issues in the recent past that I do not have the time or motivation to dig into.

This car belongs to a friend who moved out of the country, and I am helping sell on his behalf. I believe he is the third owner, the previous owner worked in the service department of an MBZ dealership in Orange County and this was his wife's weekend car. I believe he paid $5,500 2 years ago for the car.

I will try to be as thorough about the issues I know about the car up front, but the car is being sold as-is. To renew the registration you will have to get it smogged.

The good:
-Clean title
-On non-op, no penalties due at DMV
-Rare 5-speed manual gearbox
-Very nice midnight blue paint, straight bodywork, no rust anywhere, always a Southern California car
-Neat dark blue interior
-Nearly new front and rear tires on AMG 5-spokes
-Includes color matched removable hard top and storage stand
-Aftermarket Kenwood deck with USB input and a CD player
-Includes wind deflector that goes behind the seats

The bad:
-Oil pressure light comes on above ~3,500 rpm, but shows good pressure at idle and revs lower than that - I suspect the pressure sender is bad but have not investigated it.
-It's got a lifter that ticks, I've been lead to believe this is common and not too hard to fix
-Small leak in the coolant transfer hose at the back of the head leaked most of the coolant out, but the engine was stopped almost immediately, hence the white dried coolant in the engine bay photos. No smoke out the tail pipe or loss of coolant or anything like that since; I replaced the hose and did the seals on the water pump housing while it was apart
-A little hard to start when it's cold, but fires right up with some starter fluid - this has a later version of Bosch KE-Jetronic mechanical fuel injection, and it probably just needs the cold start injector or warmup regulator replaced, but I have not looked into it

-Crunches going into 1st when cold if you try to shift it quickly
-Hard to get the shifter into reverse - I think the **** / linkage just needs adjusted
-A/C doesn't work, blower and heat work fine
-Driver's seat bolster torn
-Soft top does not work automatically (hydraulics), but can be raised and lowered by hand
-Soft top fabric is a little ratty, plastic window turned yellow, some holes in the fabric
-Automatic rollover bar warning light is on, but the bar does raise and lower with the switch
-Parking brake release handle broke (plastic), but brake can still be used and released
-Missing slat in front grill
-Some scuffs on the paint on the hard top, might buff out
-Driver's head rest annoyingly flops forward, apparently common with these (they were originally electrically adjustable)
-Driver's seatbelt locks sometimes, also apparently common with these

If you have any questions or would like more photos, or to arrange a time to come see the car send me a P/M with a phone number, and I will get right back to you!

My name is Drew.

Negotiable on price for someone who is eager to put this car to good use and is familiar with the cars.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 1990 300SL - 5-Speed Manual Transmission - 120k, clean title, Los Angeles-img_20150708_133107.jpg   1990 300SL - 5-Speed Manual Transmission - 120k, clean title, Los Angeles-img_20150708_133114.jpg   1990 300SL - 5-Speed Manual Transmission - 120k, clean title, Los Angeles-img_20150708_133141.jpg   1990 300SL - 5-Speed Manual Transmission - 120k, clean title, Los Angeles-img_20150708_133731.jpg   1990 300SL - 5-Speed Manual Transmission - 120k, clean title, Los Angeles-img_20150708_133212.jpg