Private 'Wanted' Classifieds Looking for something? Let us hear it.

240d standard bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Default 240d standard bellhousing

I'm looking for a 78-84 240d manual bellhousing. I will pay cash, but would prefer to trade something from the 300d I have that I'm using the motor from.

Please pm me if you have one.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Default RE: 240d standard bellhousing

Hi Mark , I'm Mike in Yonkers NY . I have a good used 240d manual 4 speed transmission . Where are you located ? What year is the 300d you are parting out ? My phone number is (914)964 - 9649 . I'm curious what the bell housing is for , I converted a 240d to a 5-cylinder with good and bad results . The car was fast though the problem was that at 40MPH in 4th gear with the manual transmission there was vibration from the engine that could be felt through the driveline . Other than that it was a success . I did not have the vibration problem with the original 4-cylinder engine. TTYS ! -Mike-

Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 AM

Mike,

It's for my land rover, so it's only the bellhousing/flywheel that I need (I think...)

I'm curious about the vibration though. Was that flywheel rebalanced for the 5cyl? I think it has to be. Check out my buddies list of things you need to do to convert from 4 to 5 cyl:

http://www.seriestrek.com/info.html

That's for a rover transmission though, but I would guess it would be the same for a benz trans.

I've been collecting pieces for this conversion for 2 years. My enthusiasm is waning but mostly because it's tough to keep one old truck running while building another.

I have a complete 1985 300d turbo. I haven't pulled the motor yet so it's still completely drivable.

Let me know if you have those pieces.

Thanks.

Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 01:08 AM

Hi Mark , The flywheel was the original from a european model 300d with a manual transmission so it should have been balanced and matched to that particular engine . If the flywheel was the problem it would have vibrated in any gear or even in nuetral when reving the engine . I think that 5 cylinder engines are just very vibratory engines by nature. It was not horrible though it was enough to bother me . Have you spoken with other people that have done the Land Rover / Mercedes Diesel conversion ? Can you ask if anyone has encountered anything like I did ? Is your Land Rover from the early 1970s ? I'm thinking that the heavy-ness of the 4 wheel drive - drivetrain and the low gear ratios might eliminate the problem . I did install a harmonic balancer on the driveshaft of my car and it did noticeably reduce the vibration . If you are using your Land Rover as a off-road vehicle then some vibration might be the last thing you notice. I do have the bell housing and the flywheel still if you are interested . Please feel free to draw upon my experience with mercedes diesels , I have had one for 17 years and I am a 20 year career mechanic . I was hoping your parts car was a 1977-1979 because I'm looking for early climate control parts . By the way , I drove my 240d with the 5 cylinder engine for years and years though the body finally rusted out so badly that the seats were falling through the floors and the rear suspension attaching points were looking rather " Swiss - cheesy ". I pulled the engine / trans / and other spare parts before sadly sending the rotted shell to the scrap-yard . Luckily last year I found a 1979 300d automatic from Arizona with virtually no rust . I'm in New York by the way , where are you ? Thanks ! -Mike-

Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 PM

Mike,

I'm in NH, but will be in Southern CT near you in a few weeks (I think...).

There are two of these conversions I'm aware of in Canada, but I don't have details on either of them. I think they were both non turbo, but not sure. One is for sale currently though.

My friends truck is a 4cyl mated to the stock rover 4speed, and rover xfer case. He also has an overdrive unit on it. His final drive is 4:10 as it has Toyota diffs, but mine will either be 4:75, 4:10 or 3:54. Vague, I know, but I'm not sure what my xfer case ratio will be. I have two of them, one is a 'high ratio' which lowers the revs by 30% or so. I also have a stock one which I could put an od on, which I think lowers by 28%.

You're right about the vibes to a degree - the trucks are full time awd and with a xfer case and two driveshafts, there is a lot going on. The trucks are really loud inside as well - a lot of exposed aluminum and nothing to kill the noise. I do plan on addressing that when the time comes though.

My truck is a hybrid (mismash) of stuff. It's a 65 body, 93 frame. I don't have the axles yet, but those aren't really a concern for me at this point since they aren't hard to find.

The truck will be used a little bit off road, but mostly for road trips for camping and canoe trips etc. I'm hoping to get to 70mph comfortably with decent mpg.

Definitely interested in the parts. I do have the whole car and it's an auto - maybe you need a spare trans? The car is actually not in that bad shape. The points that usually rust are not rusted, but the rear fenders are going and the driver door skin separated. Still seems like a solid car though.

I'm not a mechanic, but I have a lot of experience screwing things up!

Thanks,

Mark

Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 AM

Hi Mark , I'm about a 1/2 hour south of Greenwich Connecticutt and 1 hour south of Danbury . It would be easy to get together to exchange parts / do-re-mi . My phone number is (914) 964 - 9649 . I'll try to think if I need anything from the 1985 . Unfortunately the transmission is different for the 1979 and older . I guess we should try to negotiate some deal . Thank you . -Mike-