Other Post discussion on all other models not listed above here.

Rear end whine

Old 05-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Default Rear end whine

Hi All,
I have just purchased a 1986 190e 2.3, 201, 114,000mi. and I'm wondering if the whine I have is a charateristic of these cars.
The whine is most pronunced at lower speeds - around town driving. The whine is most apparent when the engine is putting a load on the drive train - at coast the whine disappears. When I drive on the interstate highway the whine is not a bother - it seems to decrease in sound at the higher speeds (55 - 75mph).
Anyone else with this characteristic?
Thanks, for any input on this subject.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Default RE: Rear end whine

The whine shouldnt be heard with these cars. I think you can start by changing the differential fluid and see if the whine goes away.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the advice dbenz!
You wouldn't know what weight oil I should repalace it with would you? I have an owners manual on order but I do not expect it to arrive for a couple of weeks.
Thanks,
JLHowie

Old 05-02-2005, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: JLHowie

Thanks for the advice dbenz!
You wouldn't know what weight oil I should repalace it with would you? I have an owners manual on order but I do not expect it to arrive for a couple of weeks.
Thanks,
JLHowie
Im not sure if your car is a 2.3 8v or 2.3-16v.

If its a 2.3 8v you need to use 85W-90, 90 GL-5.

If its a 2.3-16v you need to use 85W-90, 90 GL-5. But its a special lubricant for limited differentials ONLY.

It takes 0.7 liters for a refill. You'll need a big allen key to remove the drain plug and fill plug. Unscrew the drain plug at the bottom of the differential housing and allow the oil to drain into a suitable container. When the oil has drained, clean and install the drain plug, and refill the differential with the specified grade of lubricant through the filler/level plug on the left-hand side of the differential case.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:19 PM

Thanks again dbenz! I have a 2.3 8v, pretty sure.
That is good information. I have checked to see if there was oil in the differential case and was only able to losen the filler plug. There is oil in the case and it does look dirty. Do you know how hard it is to find a hex wrench #13? NAPA stores don't list it and Sears doesn't either. I am going to fashion one out of a bolt to loosen the drain plug.
Thanks again.
JLHowie.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: JLHowie

Thanks again dbenz! I have a 2.3 8v, pretty sure.
That is good information. I have checked to see if there was oil in the differential case and was only able to losen the filler plug. There is oil in the case and it does look dirty. Do you know how hard it is to find a hex wrench #13? NAPA stores don't list it and Sears doesn't either. I am going to fashion one out of a bolt to loosen the drain plug.
Thanks again.
JLHowie.
Yeah I wasnt sure if it was a hex wrench or allen wrench you would need. It looked like an allen wrench in my Haynes manual. I havent changed my differential fluid either, but I plan on it. A Mercedes dealership might have the tool, but their prices are expensive too on certain parts. You might want to try there. Or try www.zdmak.com. I heard good things from them.