Other Post discussion on all other models not listed above here.

importing JAMES COOK Sprinter from Germany

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Default importing JAMES COOK Sprinter from Germany

I'm looking to find information on whether this is possible or if anyone can share their success or failure in importing a MB Sprinter. I am specifically interested in importing a James Cook Westfalia/ RV outfitted Sprinter.

I was told that for US Sprinters, the car/engine is built in Germany, and made US compliant in the US upon arrival (and rebranded Dodge Sprinter). Apart from whatever modifications may be made to the engine, they are essentially the same engine, 2.7L Diesel.

I'm getting conflicting information from various importers/conversion companies. Some saying that a petition needs to be made for this engine, it's expensive (not worth attempting), and there is a company that say it's completely do-able.

The Mercedes Sprinter is on the LIST OF NONCONFORMING MOTOR VEHICLES
CAPABLE OF BEING MODIFIED BY A REGISTERED IMPORTER
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules...ELIG010906.html

I pointed the fact that that the sprinter is on this above list, and the imported said that it pertains to cars that are already US compliant?!?!?!?

I would be registertering the vehicle in California. The Dodge Sprinter is sold in California, as is the Airstream Sprinter Westfalia (a simlar US model).
http://www.airstream.com/product_li...falia_home.html
Before anyone asks why i'm going through the hassle of importing it when similar thing is available.....it's because i currently own the James Cook, live in Germany and am moving to the US. I'd LOVE to bring my cherished car with me. It's too expensive to buy the US airstream version, not to mention they butchered the look of the car.

Any suggestions and information is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!