Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Would 'n it be nice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Would 'n it be nice...

That's apparent.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

But not since the 30s? Geesh that's a long time. Why did they give up? Maybe I don't even want to know. But Why they give up and or change?

Old 05-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

The combination of the Depression and WWII Chrysler the brand left the major lux models to Imperial.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

gas powered, true luxury small car, that averaged 35-40 mpg?
I like the idea, but would like it even more if the car were diesel. There would obviously be a lower cost compared to other Benzes, do any of you guys think that would take away from Mercedes? I mean, people claim Mercedes as a rare luxury car. If there were small benzs everywhere that were affordable, would people think less of them? Maybe if the price was comparable to the S2000 or Z4 that would be alright...

Old 05-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Hm, it's hard to say due to the fact that the US only gets the top of the line fully loaded versions.
Here in Germany, Benzes are everyehre, but most of them are the basic ones, cloth seats, then above that is the velour/leather. Then some still have manuel windows, small engines, still uses wheel covers, and some don't have climate control or let alone an air consitioner.
But it's still regarded as one ofthe top of the line highly engineered quality car, but you're a fool to use the fact that you own a benz as a status symbol. It's about what class you have. You're the man if you have the large S-class, but you're a regular with an A-class or the early E-classes. It's about the size of your car (large SUVs are cosidered just plain wasteful and idiotic since you can't really drive it anywhere since it won't fit most of the time.) and ya engine that matters.

In the states, though, they do not need to lose thier target audience. Americans are all about appearance and status. No one would hardly pay $55,000 for a chevy (Corvette is the exception), but would for one with a grille and Cadillac emblems. I think Mercedes thought they was selling an affordable everyday people benz when they bought out the C-class. But as far as a Mercedes in the price range of the Z4 and S2000, to predict what would happen is hard to say. Building "affordable Bentleys" has worked wonders for them, while Jaguar has lost major prestige points. Plus if Mercedes built a lower priced SLK type (Z4 and S2000) class car, it would be stepping on the Crossfire's toes. Why buy a Crossfire, if you could get a Benz for the same price?

In my opinon, I think Mercedes shouldn't lower themselves too much. They are historically known to be the most expensive massed produced everyday cars in it's classes, with BMW right behind them by a hair and depending on which model. Look at all of the car classes and Mercedes is probably at the top, usually followed by BMW and then everyone else.

I believe Mercedes have been making and still is making Diesels for ever but they have stopped sending most of the diesel models to the states. Most of them will return very shortly with the gas prices heading where they are heading. Plus depending on the market and demand, I doubt there would be an "affordable for everyday people" Benz as long as there are people with deep pockets willing to pay top dollar for them. Even with the current hybrids and diesels, some of them are marked up at the dealership by a thousand to a few thousand because people are willing to pay that much to "save" money.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

I think we are drifting off my point. Really I want the same level of car, just with 40mpg. That would never hurt the prestige of the product and would attract more buyers. IMHO.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

That day is coming very soon.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Right full luxury appointments ie: power seats, leather, heated seats, quality materials, good workman ship, with a high mpg rating. The only problem is all that adds weight and weight reduces mpg and 0-60 sounds like a company needs to come up with a twin-turbo diesel so the power is there when u want it but the mpg is always there.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Every heard of the hybrid S-Class. Coming down the pipe line. Hybrid engine coupled with that bluetooth technology and the likes.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Since when does luxury = gizmos???

I think car companies in the upper classes Benz, BMW, Jag, Rolls need to offer to types of cars those with old world luxury full of the best materals and craftmanship and those with technology like crazy cause i like both but some times i would just like to put the car in drive and go down the road in pure luxury not having to look at digital screens and such.

Quick Reply: Would 'n it be nice...