Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

What Was Your First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default What Was Your First Car?

I don't know if this was already posted or not, but what did you guys start out with?

-Matt-

Old 02-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Default RE: What Was Your First Car?

A 1959 MGA, I bought in 64 for $900 buck, a piece of poo this car was, but a kick to drive when it ran. it was white, knock off wire wheels, red leather inside, disc brakes up front, don't remember what the rears were, but they might have been disc also. Ride was horrible, handled well, wouldn't start below 40 degrees C, But I loved it. My second car was like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. A brand new 66 Austin Healy Sprite, disc wheels, peppy, but strained engine, terrible ride, and finally was stolen. Between the insurance money and savings I bought a one year old Austin Healy 3000. Now that was a car, handling, speed ride were great and it would on occasion start below 40 degrees. Kept it until I went into the Navy. Perhaps the most interesting car I owned back in those days was a Morgan 2 seater. A friend and I bought it in a parnership.
Thank God his father was a carpenter, as the wooden frame was eaten away from bugs on one side. He fathre was a master carpernter and cut and fitted the frame pieces for us and loaded the wood with preserative, sold it a year later for a $800 profit.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:20 AM

1967 Corvair Corsa. To this day, one of the two or three favorite cars I've ever owned or driven.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:37 AM

Copied from an earlier thread...

First car that was given to me by my parents, because they were done with it.

'58 Olds Road Boat and occasional motel for me and a friend or four/five, whatever. Had a 4-spd auto and 355 (I think) V8. Could chirp 3rd gear. I went off-roading in it a lot. I wouldn't take my truck to some of the places we sailed that Olds. It died a sudden and gruesome death one dark night. I was turning a corner in a rural area (very dark out) and the theory goes: The ignition coil came loose from the intake manifold and rolled across it and created a FEW mega-shorts. Consequently, EVERY single electrical wire in the entire car from the front bumper to the rear bumper instantly burned its insulation off. The underside of the dash lit up like a disco from glowing wires as the inside of the car instantly filled with dense smoke. I was by myself. I couldn't see anything. NOTHING. Not even my own body parts. I dove out while the car was still moving and coughed as I watched it roll into a roadside ditch. I left it there for the tow truck. It was a damn fun car, that Olds.

First car that I paid for myself.

'66 Corvette convertible. The first car I got nookie in that was my car and not my parents. I think my back still hurts from that night of nookie so may years ago. Corvettes aren't very good nookie cars.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:08 AM

'76 Oldsmobile Toronado (Burgandy w/ white top and burgandy velour seats) aka "The Pimp-Mobile" great car, 454 engine and ran like a champ!

Old 02-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

1986 Mercedes 300sdl we saw it in a auction booklet Dad said he was going to pay up to $5100 for it this was in 1999 and after he bought it and he had to pay exactly $5100 for it. He told me (i was 14 at the time) like ur first car. Man was i so happy I went to school that following Monday and told everyone that my first car was going to be a Mercedes. I was the only person teacher or student at my high school that drove a Mercedes-Benz happy to say i still have the car! Every time i try to sell it i go out get in it and i remember so much i can't get rid of it![sm=gears.gif]

Old 02-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

my first car was still a bicycle.

easyrider.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:38 AM

Saab 99. It was near the beginning of the run for the 99. It had a "freewheeling" transmission, like the classic Saab 96 and was probably the first fwd car I ever drove. If you've never driven a freewheeling car, just imagine a car with no engine braking. I loved that car. It was red and I felt "hip" in it at the time. It handled well too.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

First car, given to me, 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (every available option except sunroof.). The most smooth ride you can find on an American car. Even the new Cadillacs can't compare.

First car I actually bought totally with my own money 1997 Mercury Cougar 30th Anniversary edition Dark "Toredor" *wrongly spelled* red. 5,000 made. wrecked it in head on collision with a brand new camry. That demostrated the material difference between my car and new cars these days. That Camry was totaled on the spot. While mine was totaled because the airbags and the paint job is what pushed it over the edge and the insurance company don't take into account special edition monikers. Only it was a V-8 high performance vehicle as they classified it. One of the few American cars that I liked. But if I didn't wreck it, I wouldn't have room for the Mercedes. A bitter sweet situation, more sweet than bitter.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

A 1967 Datsun 1600 Roadster. All the girls loved my southern Calif convertible.

Quick Reply: What Was Your First Car?