Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Started managing yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default Started managing yesterday...

So I got transfered to a different Walmart as a customer service manager yesterday. This new place has got to be the laziest group I've ever seen. They won't do anything unless you tell them...again...and again...and again. You've got to monitor them all day long or they'll do stuff behind your back. Like ignoring customers, putting returns in different departments from where they're supposed to be, eatting at the registers, or heck, even stealing! I understand people hate their job, but they're not going to get far acting the way they do.

It's a good thing we can coach. It's going to be an effective tool besides policies [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Anyone else here manage?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Started managing yesterday...

Not lately i never held a managerment title but i was put in charge of the Pickup office at a Value City Furniture when i was in high school and had a management level key. More responsibility yet not more pay! I was a dumb a$$ then! But it was cool to be 16 and have access to a warehouse full of furniture.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: AMGMercedes

So I got transfered to a different Walmart as a customer service manager yesterday. This new place has got to be the laziest group I've ever seen. They won't do anything unless you tell them...again...and again...and again. You've got to monitor them all day long or they'll do stuff behind your back. Like ignoring customers, putting returns in different departments from where they're supposed to be, eatting at the registers, or heck, even stealing! I understand people hate their job, but they're not going to get far acting the way they do.

It's a good thing we can coach. It's going to be an effective tool besides policies [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Anyone else here manage?
Yep, it's called "passive agressive." A Russian joke during the time of communism was, "They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work."

Old 11-09-2006, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: AMGMercedes

Anyone else here manage?
Sounds like the customer service department needs a little house cleaning? Do you have that power?

Old 11-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

We run or have power over the front end, service desk and layaway. The third day I was there I was about to coach a few people, but wasn't trained enough with the system. We had a casher who was at the service desk collecting trash with another person. I went over and asked the cashier to jump on a regular register because lines were getting long. So after I left, she's still doing trash. I go ahead and called the serivce desk and had the other person to tell the cashier to come over.

5 minutes later, lines are crazy and she's still not over. It's gotten so bad that two managers including myself are on register. Luckily there was a phone so I page her. She flips out and yells at me all the way from the service desk that she knows. I'm thinking, "You're job code is a cashier, not a trash collector. I'm also you're boss therefore whatever I tell you, you need to drop what you're doing and do as I say because there is good intention. Trash can wait, customer service can't." She finally comes over after lines cool down and I'm headed toward layaway...which was about another 5 minutes.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah i heard walmart is getting rid of layaway. Finally i didnt even know people still used it. If you dont have the money to buy something at Wal-mart then maybe u shouldnt be buying it? Its not just the rich making the poor, poor but they are doing it to themselves!

Old 11-10-2006, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: mbz300sdl

Yeah i heard walmart is getting rid of layaway. Finally i didnt even know people still used it. If you dont have the money to buy something at Wal-mart then maybe u shouldnt be buying it? Its not just the rich making the poor, poor but they are doing it to themselves!
I'm sorry, but I just don't get that. The USA is a country that wildly issues credit cards to high school and college students, and sometimes even the newly born. So it seems to me that a large % of those who use lay away are most probably too poor to rate plastic, or too wise to pay the usury fees.

Nearly everybody in the USA owes money, has more than one credit card maxed out... and you're dissing the few who are actually laying goods away, paying a weekly or monthly sum until the chinese crap is paid for.. and only then take it home?

It seems to me that kind of behavior is called paying with friggin Cash! Are we such brainwashed consumers that it now makes sense to laugh at those who choose, for whatever reason, to pay for their goods before they take the stuff home?

Old 11-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

You didnt understand my point. My point was not only a hack at layaway but also credit cards or any type of debt except a mortgage. I was raised to use a credit card for the point that it is not the wisest thing to do to carry large sums of cash on ur person also you cannot make cash payments online. I have acutally made money off the credit card companies Discover offers cash back well since i always pay my balance at the end of the month then they have never made money from me yet i have gotten the cash back from them. The last time my dad financed a car was 1987 and the only reason my mom has since was because they got divorced and really didn't have a choice. Basically if you dont need and cannot afford dont buy it and espaically dont finance. Just my opinion and hey my dad can't be too wrong on it he retired at age 49 from being a truck driver. He is now 51 and wakes up everyday and choses what he wants to do.

Might not work for everyone but most of those people with debt also go to Starbux and pay 5 bux for a coffee.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

does walmart accept illegal immigrant?

maybe i can get a job there.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Managing? I think it has become a babysitting job for you. Verbally whacking people to get off their asses does not sound like fun. You now understand why I don't have any kids...or employees.

You have a choice, that I don't envy, because management requires making hard employment choices without emotion. Your "children" know they are f@@king up and they are testing you, to some extent.

You can either be the type of manager that overtly writes up people who misbehave, look over everyones shoulders all the time, stress out that people are making you look bad. OR... you can quietly watch and learn everyone's "habits" for a while, taking in all the "clicks" and alliances that exist and gain the trust of everyone. Then, through proper quiet documentation begin to weed out the "bad seeds" and have some fun watching the losers lose their jobs while maintaining your position and respect.

We all have worked for a manager who enjoyed beating us down and really accomplished nothing. We all would rather work for a manager who treats us fairly even in the face of a firing. Since we all know when we are braking the"rules".

Always keep in mind, you can't change people, it is up to them to change. As a manager, you show them how.

Just think, this job is just a step in your life. Make the most of it...for you!

Quick Reply: Started managing yesterday...